Q. How can someone manage anxiety issues?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I have had anxiety issues for the past four years and have faced major panic attacks several times, and I face this issue majorly when I try to sleep or if I get up at midnight. Because of this, I fear nights and losing my sleep cycle. For one year, I took medication, and I stopped it when I realized I was only surviving with medicine. Kindly help.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

There is non-pharmacological management for your anxiety disorder, and you should follow the guidelines below to deal with it. It will help you.

• You should exercise 30 - 45 minutes daily, like at least going for a walk. If possible, join the gym or swim. It will boost your confidence in yourself.
  • You should meditate for 20 minutes daily, sit in one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to control your thoughts. Just let it be. It will help you to relax and reduces panic attack.
  • You should eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid junk foods.
  • You must drink enough water.
  • You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you are living away from your family.
  • Spending time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills, language, or musical instruments would be best.
  • You should take enough seven to eight hours of sleep daily.
  • It would help if you avoided tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.
  • Live your life, do not just spend it.
  • Be bold and confident.
  • Do not be afraid of anyone.
  • Stop overthinking.

If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, then you need to start medications for a short duration. Please consult your physician, discuss with them and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Thank you and take care.

|