Q. I feel tightness in my stomach and find it hard to breathe when I think about my exam. Why?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2020

I am 21 years old. So I don't know what is going on with me but ever since I freaked out about an exam a month ago I have been having this tightness in my stomach which makes it hard to breathe sometimes. If I'm doing something or hanging out with friends I don't notice it, or it doesn't feel tight. But when I'm by myself it feels so tight, and it's hard to eat. I feel fine sometimes, but then it would hit, I feel constantly bloated. I've been so scared that it is something wrong. I would get heart palpitations and am wondering if it will ever go away?! I'm scared about my oxygen levels like are they slowly declining as well? I saw something online about silent hypoxia so I'm freaking out about that too!!

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Hi. Looks like you have anxiety. when you have anxiety attacks you will feel racing of heart, sweaty, bloating sensation etc. Normally it do not stay for long. Alternate possibility is paroxismal atrial fibrillation in which you feel your heart is racing in irregular fashion. Looks like you are anemic as your popping iron tablets. Anemia can sometimes leads to palpitations and iron tablets can cause bloating sensation. this is what j can make out from limited history provided. We can connect further to find out what exactly happening. take care.

|