Q. I am anxious because I failed in my exams and scared to inform parents. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 07, 2019

I think I am going through anxiety because I failed in my exams and I am scared to tell parents. I do not know what to do. It is mentally exhausting. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Failure in exam is quite common and always remember that it is only a temporary setback. Almost all successful people would have failed an exam at some point in their life. Do not put too much pressure on yourself by hiding it from your parents. It can be a difficult burden. Your parents may be upset, but eventually, they will get over it.

After initial disappointment settles down, they will support you. Learn to develop coping strategies to manage frustrations. You will come out stronger in the long term. Try to distract yourself and relax for some days. Then plan to retake the exam with better preparation. Make sure you eat well, sleep regularly, listen to relaxing music, talk to supportive friends and family. If anxiety is just situational nothing to worry, it will get better when the situation improves. But if it is persistent, you will benefit from some counseling to manage anxiety.

How can I reduce my depression?

Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female, and I developed foot drop five weeks ago, the foot was numb, and I could not dorsiflex it. But, now I can dorsiflex, and the steppage gait has disappeared unless I walk long distances. I have more power in the foot now, but it is still a lot weaker than the oth...  Read Full »

How should I deal my 8 year old sons's wanking habit?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an 8-year-old son. Recently, I came home from work and found him wanking in the living room. He saw me standing there, and he was not embarrassed that I caught him. He continued to do it, so I walked away and left him wanking. I have not spoken to him about that on that day. Since...  Read Full »