Q. I am extremely scared of any noise. Is it due to psychotic illness?

Dr. Sathya Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I am 27 years of age. I had gone to study in abroad. I was extremely lonely there. I am a huge hypochondriac and when I started getting sleep problems, I started thinking I had some fatal disease. Subsequently, just three months ago, I somehow became convinced that I had schizophrenia and vigorously started searching about my symptoms on the internet. I started feeling extremely detached from my surroundings and from everything around me. I also started feeling detached from people. Nowadays, I feel extremely scared of any noise made by inanimate objects around me. Even a running air conditioner scares me, though I know that it is a non-living thing. It seems as if I have lost the ability to process things. A bird chirping scares me. While I know it is a bird chirping, I still get scared of that noise? A newspaper moving in the air scares me, even though I tell myself that it is a newspaper. I know this does not sound good. My question is, is there any possibility this is not a psychotic illness? Could this be anxiety or depression? And if it is a psychotic illness, is it possible that it might go away and not last like schizophrenia? Will I ever be able to work? Please help me.

#

• There is no need to presume at this point of time that it is a psychotic illness. I think you have been reading too much on the internet.
  • I would like to treat this like an anxiety disorder at this point of time.
  • There are a lot of things I would typically explain to my patients in this kind of a scenario. But, considering that you are already too anxious, in good faith, I am withholding additional information as I believe you are likely to misinterpret them.
  • I suggest you Fluoxetine 10 mg after breakfast for two days. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Also, get the dosage altered accordingly.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|