Q. Taking Clonazepam, Mirtazapine for anxiety and depression, Can you suggest any solution?

Dr. Ananth S
Published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

Dear Doctor,

I am suffering from anxiety, restlessness and taking Clonazepam 0.75mg & Mirtazapine 30mg daily. I had depression and panic attacks for the last 7 years relieved by Ativan 1mg and with open angle glaucoma.

Need a second opinion.

Dr. Ananth S

Andrology Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy
#

Depression, anxiety, restlessness and panic attacks are best respond to a combination of a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) and Benzodiazepines.

Mirtazapine is not the most efficient ant depressant and it is not a true SSRI as fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram and sertraline are.

I recommend 20 to 40mg of Paroxetine (slowly titrated up from 10mg) and 1mg of either clonazepam or ativan (lorazepam) every 8 hours as needed for anxiety.

Glaucoma precludes use of any anticholinergics such as hydroxyzine or benadryl (diphenhydramine).

SSRIs are also at times likely to make glaucoma worse but a preliminary trial is always worth it.

Revert back to a psychiatrist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thoughts about my breakup haunt me and I feel lonely. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling alone in life. I came to work abroad and fortunately got a job at a clothes shop and running it for a year. But, I have not been able to save to help my family. I feel weak and no proper food I am eating. I do not want to deal with customers at the shop. My past breakup ...  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article