Q. Mirap and Clonazepam prescribed for anxiety and depression, Is it fine to take?

Dr. Ananth S
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello Doctor,

I am suffering from anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed 15mg of Mirap at night and 0.50mg of Clonazepam twice daily. And Clonazepam has to be halved after every 10 days.

Is it fine? Need a second opinion.

Dr. Ananth S

Andrology Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy
#

Mirap is a Mirtazapine which is indicated for depression. In my professional experience, it is not as efficacious as the SSRIs such as Fluoxetine or Paroxetine or Citalopram.

Mirap at the dosage of 15mg does help the patient to sleep better but it is also known for significant weight gain upto 10lbs in 2 weeks.

Clonazepam is indeed an useful adjunct and helps with the anxiety component. But I only prefer to use it as an "as needed adjunct" and no standing doses.

I can help you better, if you are fine with booking a session for an online therapy for a detailed evaluation.

|