Q. What is the difference between unipolar and bipolar disorder?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I am facing severe anxiety for past two months due to over masturbation. I have consulted a psychiatrist two weeks ago and he informed me that I am suffering from bipolar disorder. I would like to know whether it is bipolar or unipolar disorder? I am taking Relihexy 2 mg, Blonitas 4 mg, Kivipride 200 and Nitrazepam since two weeks.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

Severe anxiety due to masturbation and guilt could occur in both depression and bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.

The difference between unipolar depression and bipolar disorder is the presence of absence of a manic episode. If there is a history of manic episode, currently or in past, then it is bipolar disorder.

The symptoms of manic episode are sudden change in mood (either very happy or irritable or excited), reduced sleep, increased talking with increased speed, and loss of judgment. If these were not present, then it is unlikely to be unipolar depression.

I will be able to help you more if you can provide more details about your illness. Take care.

Revert back with complete details of your illness to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Are my symptoms related to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?

Query: Hello doctor, Since I was around 8 years old, I have experienced mood fluctuations but not in the normal bipolar way (which I am being tested for). I do not feel like my mood sways between depression and mania. It is always some level of mania but without depression. I also experience tactile hallu...  Read Full »