Q. What is the difference between unipolar and bipolar disorder?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

I am facing severe anxiety for past two months due to over masturbation. I have consulted a psychiatrist two weeks ago and he informed me that I am suffering from bipolar disorder. I would like to know whether it is bipolar or unipolar disorder? I am taking Relihexy 2 mg, Blonitas 4 mg, Kivipride 200 and Nitrazepam since two weeks.

Do you have a question on Anxiety or Schizophrenia?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

M.B.B.S., D.P.M., MEMBER OF INDIAN PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY., SPECIALIST IN MOOD AND ANXIETY DISORDERS
Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine

Severe anxiety due to masturbation and guilt could occur in both depression and bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.

The difference between unipolar depression and bipolar disorder is the presence of absence of a manic episode. If there is a history of manic episode, currently or in past, then it is bipolar disorder.

The symptoms of manic episode are sudden change in mood (either very happy or irritable or excited), reduced sleep, increased talking with increased speed, and loss of judgment. If these were not present, then it is unlikely to be unipolar depression.

I will be able to help you more if you can provide more details about your illness. Take care.

Revert back with complete details of your illness to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Are my symptoms related to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?
Query: Hello doctor, Since I was around 8 years old, I have experienced mood fluctuations but not in the normal bipolar way (which I am being tested for). I do not feel like my mood sways between depression and mania. It is always some level of mania but without depression. I also experience tactile hallu...  Read Full »
Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your psychiatrist is correct. Bipolar is a more likely diagnosis. Bipolar disorder need not be present with depression and mania both. Recurrent mania also comes under the category of bipolar disorder. In mania, our sensitivity to stimulation increases like colo...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now