Q. I noticed tiny red dots on the inside of my lower lip, upper lip, and cheek. What are these?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I developed a mouth ucler on the inside of my left cheek yesterday. Upon investigating, I noticed these tiny red dots on the inside of my lower lip, one on my upper lip and another on the inside of my right cheek. I have since developed another ulcer near the red speck on my upper lip. I occasionally wear a mouth splint at the front of my mouth when sleeping, I am being treated for TMJ. I can also feel a bit of roughness near my ulcer and some texture almost like I can feel a line on the inside of my right cheek, near the red spot. So I thought maybe I was biting my mouth. But, I am a bit concerned about the red specks. Do you know what are these red specks? Thank you

#

It is clear that the ulcer is not dangerous as per your history and I checked the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks you are having traumatic ulcer in front lower lip and posterior (back) one is perhaps due to splint. Because of stress, sometime the aphthous ulcer also develop but these are painful and tender to touch, which is missing in your case. Also, the ulcer you have is not dangerous and will not do any harm. In case, you still want some sort of medication, then you can apply Kenacort (Triamcinolone) 0.1%. The ulcer neither looks dangerous like cancer not any immunity related disease. So, no need to worry. Have a good health ahead.

The red specks seem to be decreasing in size on my lip. But the one inside the cheek is the same. I have health anxiety (working on it with a therapist) so I am aware this could just be minor inflammation.

#

There is no need to be worried, because of high blood supply to lip the ulcer heals more fast and takes some time in posterior area. There is no need to have anxiety, it is not dangerous.

Use the Kenacort 0.1% ointment thrice daily for a week, it will be over within a week. Also avoid the mouth guard if you use it or if it is having sharp edges then get it corrected.

|