Arm Pain

Arm pain refers to the pain occurring anywhere in the arm, including the pain in the wrist, elbow, and shoulder. It occurs most often due to injury and when sprains, fractures, and tendonitis affect the arms. Angina and heart attack can also cause referred pain in the arms. Taking pain medications with physical therapy helps a lot. In severe cases, surgery is required.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have had dull pain and discomfort in my upper right arm for the past month. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had dull pain and discomfort in my upper right arm for the past month. Unfortunately, it has been the same, neither better nor worse. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. This is most likely due to cervical pain due to the compression of nerves between the spine. Does this pain increases on neck movement or any neck trauma? These may be the associated symptoms. You should get cervi...  Read Full »

My left arm and fingers start aching after eating oily and spicy food. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in my late thirties and I have hyperthyroidism and hypertension. Whenever I have biryani or oily and spicy food my left arm and fingers start aching. There is no chest pain. Once I throw up, the pain reduces. I got ECG, EKG, and chest x-ray done twice over the last 30 days since I pa...  Read Full »

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

Answer: Hi,Welcome to your ECG and chest X-ray are normal (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and only left arm and fingers pain, you can take the following medications:1. The tablet Pantoprazole twice daily after meals.2. The syrup Sucralfate 10 ml thrice daily after...  Read Full »

My hand is swollen after an IV injection. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I underwent an endoscopy last week. An IV line was placed on the front of my hand. It is still swollen, and I have mild pain. But there is no redness. I have been using warm compression. When will the swelling subside? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. You have mild pain with swelling of the vein, due to IV (intravenous) cannulation. This can be phlebitis, which means inflammation of a vein near the surface of the skin due to IV cannulation. It usually gets better on its own after two we...  Read Full »

What can cause arm pain particularly after sleep?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male student. I have severe pain in my right arm for the past 12 hours. There is no other accompanying symptom. I had encountered the same problem a couple of times in the past. The pain starts suddenly preferably after sleep. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This could be coming from the nerve being compressed or irritated in your neck, shoulder or arm pit. I would highly suggest changing the position in which you sleep. In order to help you better please tell me whether the pain starts from your shoulder or ar...  Read Full »

Why am I having severe pain in my arm for many years even though all my reports are normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in my right arm (elbow, wrist, ring finger, and thumb bone). I consulted an orthopedic who suggested for X-ray and some other tests but all tests were normal. He told me to consult a neurologist, where I was suggested to have an NCV test. All tests came out to be norm...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Nigam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. It seems you are suffering from severe vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and vitamin B12 (cobalamin) deficiency. Since your reports are normal, the cause of the constant pain is mostly due to weak bones and weak nerv...  Read Full »

I have a frozen shoulder with crawling ants sensation, pain, and itching in the left hand. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 75-year-old. I have had type 2 diabetes for the past ten years and hypothyroidism for the past eight years. Mild hypertension has been present for the past 40 years, and cervical spondylosis for a few years. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) has been present for eight years. I tak...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Sorry to hear about your symptoms. I read your query, and I understand your concern. The momentary reeling you experience is because of the change in position or posture and is called positional vertigo. Does this reeling occur every time you change sides on the bed? ...  Read Full »

I have had neck pain, arm weakness, and left arm tingling for the past three years. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had neck pain for the past three years, along with right arm weakness, tingling and pain, and left arm tingling on and off. I finally had an MRI, and my physician said surgery is an option. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. The spinal cord seems intact, but the nerve roots may be compressed. If there is already weakness and pain despite medical management and physical therapy, I suggest surgery and tablet Amitriptyline 25 mg 1 tablet at night. I hope this has hel...  Read Full »

I do not have a history of trauma, but I get pain in my right shoulder when I write, walk or sit without support. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I have shoulder pain right side. I have no history of any trauma or injury, or surgery. I am 21 years, and I have pain from the center to the right shoulder and sometimes in the arms too. If I do a lot of work, I feel weakness in my arm and shoulder. I have pain when I write, walk, or sit ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Nigam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. What you are experiencing is most probably due to a condition called bicipital tendonitis. There is swelling and inflammation of your biceps muscle tendon. There can be many causes of this to happen and not always injury. The routine activ...  Read Full »

I fear I might have a cardiac arrest although I am only 18. Please help me.

Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18-year-old boy. I have a fear I might have a cardiac arrest. I have mild chest pains and pain in my left hand. I have already done echo and TMT tests. Both came out negative. The doctors say that my heart is healthy. But I still fear I have some condition or something might hap...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Firstly, you need to understand that the chest has multiple structures besides the heart, like lungs, food pipes, muscles, bones, etc. So, each one can cause pain and often lead to pain in hand as well. Secondly, considering your age, the possibility of heart issues ...  Read Full »

What does pain in the hand starting from shoulder to elbow indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother got pain in the right hand, severe pain starting from shoulder backside to elbow for the past 4 to 5 months. She could not lift her hand, drag the things with her hand.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concern. Pain and limited range of movement of the shoulder joint can be due to various reasons like fracture of the bones forming the joint, injury to the joint capsule, injury to ligaments o...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.