Arthritis Pain

Arthritis occurs due to inflammation and swelling affecting the joints with pain. Arthritis pain is called arthralgia, which is caused due to injury to the ligaments and tendons of the joints. The causes can be an infection or allergic reaction to medications. Taking painkillers and corticosteroids helps a lot. Placing ice packs on the affected region provides some relief.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What is the reason for edema of both feet and ankles?

Query: Hello doctor, I am regularly taking 6 oz of warm water with half a slice of a medium-sized lemon and one medium spoon of honey right in the morning for the last 15 days. Whatever be the benefits, I find my arthritic knee pains have slightly increased along with edema of both feet and ankles and pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your post. You have mentioned that you are suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (AS) with osteoarthritis. But, you have not mentioned which DMARD (disease-modifying antirheumatic drug) you are taking.Anyways, I would suggest the following. NSAIDS (non-s...  Read Full »

What do my knee's magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings mean, and what are the treatment options for my knee pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51-year-old male weighing 200 pounds. Recently, I injured my knee (three weeks ago) due to a fall. I have knee pain that worsens going up and down stairs. MRI showed a local cartilage defect involving the lateral trochlea with subjacent bone marrow edema. I am in good shape and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. Your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) findings indicate patellofemoral arthritis. The treatment options for the condition vary from conservative treatment to joint replacement (partial or complete) depending on the X...  Read Full »

My 53-year-old husband, has knee pain with swelling after taking his flu medicines. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband, aged 53, is 6 feet tall and weighs 200 lbs was prescribed Ciprofloxacin 500 mg and Prednisone 5 mg for flu for ten days. Upon completion of the treatment, he started experiencing knee pain with swelling. It has now moved to the hands and shoulders. He complains that he almost ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. From what you mentioned, your husband has migratory arthritis, which could be due to the following: 1. Lymes disease (caused by a tick bite). 2. Gonococcal infection. 3. Reactive arthritis. 4. Gout (high uric acid level). It is less like...  Read Full »

What are long-term effects of arthritis affecting the neck and wrist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having symptoms of arthritis in my neck and wrist for more than ten years, and it is getting worse now. I thought it could be due to the effect of wear and tear of my old car accident. And sometimes, I convince myself by saying that it is because of aging. I also had back-to-ba...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupoor Acharya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The symptoms you have described could be seen in lupus or other connective tissue diseases. Your ANA (antineutrophil antibody) is repeatedly positive. However, the ANA profile does not show any specific antibody. But that does not confirm that you cannot have a conne...  Read Full »

I am suffering from severe joint pain in my knees, ankles, and shoulders. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had a fever for three to four days and after that, I developed severe joint pain. The pain is not in one part, sometimes, I feel pain in the knees, ankles, shoulders and so on. What tablet can I take? However, there was no fever after that. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. It seems that you have inflammatory arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, or other types of arthritis. To confirm this, I suggest you do certain blood tests like CBC (complete blood count...  Read Full »

Is Prednicort a good medicine for arthritis pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I want an opinion for my mother. My mother has been feeling arthritis pain since last few years. Recently, I have read somewhere about a medicine name Prednicort (5 mg) which is specially used for asthma disease. But, I have read that this medicine is also helpful for arthritis pain. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Prednicort (Prednisolone) is a steroid which is good as an anti-inflammatory and painkiller in arthritis but has very serious adverse effects in the long term such as osteoporosis, gastritis, hypertension, and elevated blood sugar levels. Is she diagnosed with rheuma...  Read Full »

My 68-year-old mother with rheumatoid arthritis has pain. Should the Methotrexate dose be increased for her?

Query: Hello doctor, My 68-year-old mother was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis nine years ago and has been on Methotrexate since then. She has difficulty moving limbs, and her left knee joint aches a lot. Currently, the dosage of Methotrexate is 7.5 mg per week, Folic acid 5 mg daily, Calcium 500 mg da...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your query. As such, the medicines need modification for her if the joint pain is increasing. The reports show a very high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) of 71 mm/hour, which may indicate inflammation inside. As for the medicines: 1. Methotrex...  Read Full »

What is the remedy for shoulder pain in a thyroid patient?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is suffering from left shoulder pain since last six months specifically in the morning. Please suggest the remedy soon. She is a thyroid patient and currently on Thyroxin 75 mg. The laboratory test performed was for uric acid measuring 4.6 mg/dl.  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Does she have any other symptoms of associated neck pain, arm, and hand pain, tingling or numbness in the neck, shoulder or arm, any history of trauma to shoulder or neck, etc.? Does her pain increase while doing shoulder movements? The possibilities in her are cervi...  Read Full »

My mother has pain due to arthritis. How to relieve her pain?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is 87 years old and is completely bedridden. She has arthritis with excruciating pain in her knees, hips, shoulders, and neck. She is unable to sleep at night. The physician prescribed a pain reliever, but it did not improve the symptoms. So kindly suggest a painkiller for her to...  Read Full »

Dr. Suman Saurabh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to want to evaluate the condition before starting a treatment. Since oral analgesics did not improve the symptoms, admit your mother to a hospital, and ask the medical professional to provide intravenous analgesics. Then, treat her osteoporosis with Teriparatide (parathyroi...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for excruciating joint pain.

Query: Hi doctor,I am experiencing joint pain in my hands, elbows, ankles, and toes. It has progressed rapidly over the past few weeks. It causes excruciating pain at night and I sleep very little. I am waking up with swollen joints and I have to sit for an hour or two before getting up from the bed. Is th...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There are two types of arthritis. The first one is osteoarthritis and the other one is rheumatoid arthritis. There is one more disease called gout's disease. Sometimes it looks hard to diagnose them. But we can differentiate them without doing testing. Usually, oste...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.