Q. I have a history of arthritis in the right side of the hip, but now I have severe pain in the left. Why?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2021

I am a 29-year-old male. I have had excruciating pain around my lower back or left the hip area the last day or so. It has been so bad it has stopped me evening from being able to stand up, and I have had to take a couple of days off of work now. I did have some numbness or tingling in my bum or back of legs down to about the back of the knee area, but that seems to have stopped. Now it is just the pain. I have a previous history of arthritis in the right hip, various operations on the hip and right leg. Often pain from arthritis has caused back pain, but this feels different. I use to take Co-codamol previously for arthritis and have not had any to take for six months.

The online helpline suggested I go to the emergency. However, I do not want to waste anybody's time, hence why I am here trying to find other advice. Should I get it checked out, or should it heal by itself? I cannot afford to have much more time off, so I would rather not wait weeks for the pain to subside. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Yes, pain can be due to arthritis only because you have a similar history, so somehow, it increases the risk of other joints' involvement. And this time, it is back, so possible your bones have deficiencies, or maybe there is a slipped disc, so that would be checked by X-ray examination once. But yes, you can try anti-inflammatory drugs and see if it improves.

I will suggest you take:

1) Tablet Diclofenac 75 mg twice a day after meal for three days.

2) Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before meal for three days.

You can get some back massage. It will help to relax your muscles, and you will feel better. Sleep with a low pillow. Can you please tell me what kind of work you used to do? Did you lift any heavyweight, and pain started after that? Do you have a burning sensation or frequent urge to passing urine?

I hope this was helpful.

|