Q. I have arthrogryposis, and I am developing random scars and scabs. Why?

I am 32-year-old male with nonprogressive physical disability arthrogryposis. I feel healthy for the most part, but I keep getting random scabs. I have had another skin issue on and off, and it involves getting scabs or scars for no reason. I am not sure if these scars or scabs are due to an underlying health issue or bugs or what could cause random scabs to appear out of nowhere. I do not live an active lifestyle. I rarely go out. I cannot have hurt myself to get these scars. Kindly help me.

#

How long has it been there? What are the affected areas? Does the affected area spread? Can you give a detailed history of its onset, progression, and duration? Any history of diabetes mellitus, hypertension, or psychiatric disorder? Is there any other systemic disease? Please answer the questions so that I can guide you accordingly.

The spot has been there for about a day or so. Sometimes I notice this happen from time to time but not always in the same area. The spot in the picture is on my leg, somewhat close to my feet. One time I was showering, I noticed a similar spot on my other leg when I noticed blood was coming out of it as I was showering. It is not like me to have random scabs or scars and to bleed abnormally. I do not have hypertension, but I suffer from what was formally referred to as hypochondria, making my life stressful, but it all ties to my disability. I constantly worry that my chances of diseases are more likely. No medication can stop my worry, especially when I feel it is a legitimate cause of concern and like I said, I do not scar or scab for no reason. Kindly help me.

#

I have seen the pictures attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You are suffering from an insect bite reaction. I would advise you to use Mupirocin cream twice daily. There is nothing serious about it. If not relieved by it, then I suggest you take tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate potassium) twice daily for seven days. I also would like to advise you not to touch the lesion or avoid picking it to heal correctly. I hope this helps you.

|