Q. I was advised ayurvedic medicines for work-related stress. Will this help?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have developed anxiety problems due to severe work-related stress. I work in the IT services with timings from 2 PM to 11 PM. So, I go to bed by 1 AM and wake up around 6.45 AM every day. Due to stress, I am having palpitations. I had a full echo, ECG, and a treadmill test to rule out cardiac problems and the results were normal. I was advised Betacap 20 mg and Restyl 0.25 each once a day. I have been taking these medications for close to one and a half years now. However, during a Siddha camp in our office for stress, they reviewed my medications and have advised me to take Ashwagandha 400 mg twice, one in morning and night each along with my allopathy medications. Also, I have lost my sex drive due to stress. I would like to take advice on this medication and dosage. Will these ayurvedic supplements cause any interactions?

#

• If you have seven hours of continuous and undisturbed deep sleep, that is more than enough to compensate your trouble.
  • Your drowsiness during your working hours and loss of interest in sex is because of the side effects of the drugs. I suggest the following therapies:
  1. Betacap - only in the morning (stop at night).
  2. Stop Restyl (Alprazolam) and Xyzal (Levocetirizine). If you do not get sleep for two days, then you can take one Restyl on the third day. It is better if you come out of these drugs or you will be addicted.
  3. Ashwagandha 400 mg twice is good to reduce stress and to improve sexual interest (maximum for 6 months).
  4. Tablet Vallarai, a herbal drug from Centella Asiatica - take one at morning and one at evening before bed. This will reduce your stress. You can take it lifelong.
  5. Capsule Rathnapurush - one in the morning and one in the evening (to reduce stress and to improve happiness).
  6. Karisalai madakku thailam - apply 10 drops on your head, and do self-head massage. Wait for 30 minutes. Then take bath. Continue this practice every day. This is the best to reduce stress and to improve hair growth, prevent aging. The above oil (Karisalai madakku thailam): one drop in each nostril. Apply in the morning after brushing, and before bed. You can put one drop on your finger and apply it into the nostril. This prevents the stress related allergic/nasal effects. This makes you alert during your working hours.
  7. Tablet Karisalai karpam, two tablets in the morning and one at night. This should be continued for six months. Then, one tablet in the morning and one at night. This can be continued for lifelong.
  8. You can join a yoga-pranayama course and practice it daily. It will bring positive changes.

I have prescribed you the yogic drugs, which will make you healthy mentally as well as physically. After three months, you can stop Betacap.

For more information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

Thanks so much. I am also taking Liv-52 for poor appetite. Is Vallarai called as Brahmi? During the herbal workshop at office, they prescribed Oh boy medicine containing Krishna Musli, Brahmi and Shwet Musli for sex drive. Since I have already purchased it, can I use these?

#

• Yes, both Vallarai and Brahmi are same.
  • You can use Musli if you have already purchased it. Once Musli is finished, then you continue with capsule Rathnapurush. This capsule additionally contains Shilajit.

| 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now