Ast

What does increased level of ALT and AST suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had two blood tests conducted within the last two weeks. The results from both tests showed high amounts of ALT and AST (liver function). I am interested in knowing if there is anything I should do to lower these levels to normal.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See your liver enzymes, amylase, lipase, and creatinine is raised. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). To treat this we need to know the cause. I would like to know if you have been consuming alcohol? I would also like to know if you have diabetes, hi...  Read Full »

What causes severe abdominal pain with raised AST and ALT levels in an 8-year-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8-year-old daughter continues to have strong abdominal pains. Couple of months before, it was really bad and was also coupled with mono and fifths disease. At that time her levels were crazy high. AST = 1312, ALT = 1692. These levels freaked out the doctors so we went back the next...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. This appears to be a case of obstructive jaundice. The main cause of obstructive jaundice is gallstones. Since GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) levels are raised more than 70 in the first report it suggests an obstructive cause. AST (aspa...  Read Full »

I would like to know the meaning of some results I have attached. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know the meaning of some results I have attached. Please help.   Read Full »

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I viewed your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I can say as follows 1. Your body max index is 39, and it indicates your obesity. 2. Abdominal CT findings are fatty liver, and mild enlarge prostate. Fatty liver means that the liver is o...  Read Full »

My ALT and AST levels are high and found fat on my liver ultrasound. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years male with controlled hypertension. I did my annual check-up, and I found ALT and AST are 192 and 142, which are elevated. I had an ultrasound, and I found fat from marked to moderate on my liver. Lipid profile results are in the optimal level, CBC and kidney results also...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Certain prescription and over-the-counter drugs may also cause increased liver enzyme levels. In studies, we have seen that Candesartan (Atacand 8 mg) that you are taking, can cause deranged hepatic function and also inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) to some exte...  Read Full »

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and attachments in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) Please find my observations below. Having gone through your reports in detail, cirrhosis is unlikely as your most recent ultrasound done on 1st December 2014 sho...  Read Full »

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all the data posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two abnormalities in your reports. The first one is that the percentage of lymphocytes are high and that of the neutrophils are low. This is commonly seen in viral fever. Y...  Read Full »

AST/ALT more than 1. Can this mean liver disease or cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor,Three years ago I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver and at that time my liver enzymes were 3 to 4 times of the upper ranges. I then lost weight and with time my enzymes got normalized. However, in last test, I have noticed a pattern where AST is greater than ALT, though they ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, the concept of AST: ALT is not valid when the enzymes are in normal range. However, low platelet count can be an early sign of liver cirrhosis. It is not very uncommon to get liver cirrhosis in cases of NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). I would recommend yo...  Read Full »

Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs to be elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs (ALT=90 and AST=86) to be elevated? If so, how long of an abstinence period (not using cocaine) would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Taking cocaine two days earlier can increase the LFTs.  LFTs can also be raised due to many causes including liver infection, increased alcohol intake, intake of toxic chemicals including cocain...  Read Full »

Kindly explain about the AST and ALT levels in blood report.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 55 years old male, height 168 cm, and weight 74 kg. I do not drink or smoke. Presently, I am not under any medications. Previously, I took medicines for suspected acid reflux symptoms for six months but stopped since one year. I used to undergo comprehensive blood tests on a yearly...  Read Full »

Dr. Kannane Tirou

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I note that your query is related to abnormal LFTs (blood liver function tests) SGOT (AST- aspartate transaminase) and SGPT (ALT- alanine transaminase). From the information you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I understand that: You are asy...  Read Full »

AST and ALT levels are high since the 11th week of pregnancy. Is it alarming?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 weeks pregnant, and I have all my tests done. All of it seems well. The only concern is the baby is having an echogenic intracardiac focus in left ventricle which was found in anomaly scan following which my doctor prescribed a quad screen test and I did that as well. My doctor...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? Let me assure you that you and your baby are absolutely normal and will have no problems. Let me explain one by one. A single soft tissue marker like the echogenic cardiac focus is not at all to be worried about. We do not need to do any marker o...  Read Full »