Ast

My AST and ALT levels are not elevated after alcohol consumption. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an abdominal ultrasound and consulted two gastroenterologists. One doctor told me that I have a fatty liver and another doctor told me that I do not have a fatty liver. Can you please tell me whether I have a fatty liver or not? I usually drink three glasses of wine each week and I...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) or nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), are both spectra of fat-related liver disease. As the name implies, it is nonalcoholic which means that it i...  Read Full »

What do elevated ALT, AST, and bilirubin levels indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I am very active and take a healthy diet. I do not take alcohol and never smoked for five years. I just did my bloodwork, and my ALT levels were 55, and bilirubin is 1.5. My AST levels are 31. I have been taking vegan protein and Ashwagandha (herbal supplement...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports are up to mark (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and there are slightly increased ALT (alanine transaminase), which is not significant to cause any symptoms. So you do not have to worry. It can be due to the medicine you are taking or...  Read Full »

What does high value of ALT, AST, and ALP indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to show my LFT report. I was suffering from jaundice. In my first test result total bilirubin was 11.2 mg/dL (D: 2.1, ID: 9.1), and the values of ALT, AST, and ALP are 53, 41, and 162 u/l, respectively. Hepatitis B was negative. In my second test results, the total bilirubin c...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and the following is my opinion about your asked question. ALT (alanine transaminase) or SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) is the liver cells' enzyme. So, raised the level of which is suggestive of liver cell (hepatocyte) damag...  Read Full »

Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs to be elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs (ALT=90 and AST=86) to be elevated? If so, how long of an abstinence period (not using cocaine) would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Taking cocaine two days earlier can increase the LFTs.  LFTs can also be raised due to many causes including liver infection, increased alcohol intake, intake of toxic chemicals including cocain...  Read Full »

Is grade 2 fatty liver reversible?

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent urination, excessive sweating, mouth dryness, stomach bloating and flatulence (gas formation), tiredness, feels sleepy all the times, stomach heaviness all the time, excessive farting especially in the evening, headache in the morning once I getup. Ultrasound finding...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any prior history of diabetes? If yes, since how long and what medication do you use for diabetes? Do you have any history of diarrhea, constipation or weight loss or abdominal pain? Do you feel heat intolerance, increased anger, etc? Since how long are...  Read Full »

Why do I have grade 1 fatty liver and raised AST even after medication and diet control?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year my ultrasound showed grade 1 fatty liver with AST 90 and ALT 143. After one month of diet control, AST and ALT came back to normal and was normal until the next six months. I again got it tested one week back and my ultrasound showing grade 1 fatty liver with 15.7 cm size. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from Grade 1 fatty liver with raised AST (aspartate aminotransferase) level. According to your investigations result (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your triglyceri...  Read Full »

Will heavy weightlifting result in elevated levels of ALT and AST?

Query: Hello doctor, My ALT - 53 (50 is the upper limit), and AST - 137 (35 is the upper limit). I recently had a full blood test done and the above figures were elevated. Doctor wants me to have an ultrasound. I have read online studies that suggest doing a heavy weightlifting workout can elevate the...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, I completely agree with what you believe in-strenous exercise can cause this sorts of enzymes levels. An ultrasound may not provide important information, however, a complete set of liver profile can help to establish the cause of it. Namely, the other values i...  Read Full »

I have chest pain and acid reflux with raised AST and ALT levels. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently went to the ER for persistent and sharp chest pain. It was diagnosed as a bad acid reflux spell but was told to follow up with a GI doctor in case it was an ulcer. The doctor noted slightly high protein levels but I am looking at my chart and I have high AST and ALT levels....  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand you must be concerned and very upset about your recent onset symptoms and visit to ED for this chest pain. Yes, they are right, that you might have ulcers in the food pipe that has led to chest pain. But you see, the patients with ulcers in food pip...  Read Full »

What does high ALT and AST values with abdominal distension in chronic alcoholic indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 49 years old and I have been drinking approximately 350 ml of vodka every day for approximately 10-15 years. I also have smoked half pack a day for 30 years but just recently quit. For the past year and a half (maybe even two years) I have had diarrhea daily. I went to a doctor w...  Read Full »

Dr. Hiren Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think there are multiple issues. You need proper workup. Your ALT (alanine transaminase) / AST (aspartate transaminase) are due to alcohol-related liver disease, better is to do USG (ultrasound) abdomen. Other issues are, I had gone through your blood reports (at...  Read Full »

What does increased level of ALT and AST suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had two blood tests conducted within the last two weeks. The results from both tests showed high amounts of ALT and AST (liver function). I am interested in knowing if there is anything I should do to lower these levels to normal.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See your liver enzymes, amylase, lipase, and creatinine is raised. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). To treat this we need to know the cause. I would like to know if you have been consuming alcohol? I would also like to know if you have diabetes, hi...  Read Full »