Q. Can dust and mites worsen your asthma status or allergies?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

My sister had bad coughing for the last few months. Last month she went to a pulmonologist, and he prescribed some medicines, which are working, but he also asked for a chest CT scan. We got the CT scan done, and I would need advice based on the report.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your sister has been suffering from a cough for the last few months. She has recently done CT (computed tomography) chest, and the report of CT chest (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) has suggested that small airway disease and pulmonary function test has been advised for correlation as well as a small irregular nodular calcific nodule, possibly old granulomatous. Small airway diseases usually indicate asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or increased risk of developing asthma or exercise-induced asthma. On the other hand, old granulomatous means any infections or inflammation of the respiratory tract, pneumonia, etc., that were previously developed but healed now. A pulmonary function test is very important for assessing her present lung status. Has she already been suffered from asthma, COPD, etc., or not? According to her present features, lung or, pulmonary function tests will help detect the underlying causes and then treat them accordingly. She can monitor her oxygen saturation level by pulse oximeter during rest and after exertion. In the meantime, she can take antibiotics like Azithromycin (Zithromax) for few days, Montelukast (Singulair), Levosalbutamol (Xopenex), Doxofylline (Ansimar), and Corticosteroids (Medrol). These medications may help to subside her present sufferings.

My sister had a blood test. I am sending you the report for your review. What will be the treatment for this?

#

Welcome to back icliniq.com.

According to the blood test, the result has shown that her total IgE (immunoglobulin E) is 648 IU/mL that is above normal level (0-100). Raised levels of IgE antibody indicate that the body is exposed to allergens or irritants. Again, it can indicate that body is continuously fighting against any type of infection or immunity. Continuous exposure to allergens or irritants may cause chronic cough and increases IgE levels in the blood. Allergens like household dust, smoke, and mites may aggravate allergic status or pre asthmatic status. So, avoid dust, smoke, and mites, which can help make your asthma status, or allergies improved.

|