Q. I am asthmatic since birth. Will taking corticosteroids and bronchodilator help relieve the symptoms?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

I am asthmatic since birth. The symptoms are worse during cold seasons. I use Salbutamol tablets 2 mg two times a day and an Asthalin inhaler. But during an attack, the inhaler does not work, and I have to resort to nebulization.

Will taking an Asthalin inhaler along with Budecort inhaler help to relieve the symptoms of asthma? Should they be taken daily, irrespective of whether I have an attack or not?

Are there any side effects?

Will using an Aerocort inhaler, which contains a corticosteroid and a bronchodilator, help relieve the symptoms? Because this works out cheaper.

#

Thanks for writing your query to me.

Asthma is a lifelong and chronic problem.

Inhaler treatment is the best standard treatment for asthma.

There are two types of inhalers.

One is a preventer inhaler like a steroid inhaler, and the other is a reliever for an acute attack.

You should always regularly take a preventer inhaler like Budecort 200 (budesonide)- two puffs twice daily with Asthalin ( salbutamol sulphate) inhaler two puffs as required by Zerostat-VT Spacer.

Taking an inhaler with spacers is equally useful to taking nebulization.

The steroid amount is minimal for inhalers, and side effects are also significantly less than oral treatment.

Never take oral bronchodilator medicines like Tab Asthalin or only Asthalin inhaler as they will give only temporary relief and side effects are more.

Never stop taking Budecort or Aerocort (beclomethasone dipropionate and levosalbutamol) inhaler as you need to keep your asthma under control.

And the cost of emergency medicines is always more than the monthly inhaler cost.

I hope everything is clear to you now.

You can take your Asthma Specialist's help to monitor and keep your asthma under control regularly.

Thanks.

|