Is asthma a lifelong and a chronic problem?

Q. I am asthmatic since birth. Will taking corticosteroids and bronchodilator help relieve the symptoms?

Answered by
Dr. Amol Kumar Wasudeorao Diwan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am asthmatic since birth. The symptoms are worse during cold seasons. I use Salbutamol tablets 2 mg two times a day and an Asthalin inhaler. But during an attack, the inhaler does not work, and I have to resort to nebulization. Will taking an Asthalin inhaler along with Budecort inhaler help to relieve the symptoms of asthma? Should they be taken daily, irrespective of whether I have an attack or not? Are there any side effects? Will using an Aerocort inhaler, which contains a corticosteroid and a bronchodilator, help relieve the symptoms? Because this works out cheaper.



Welcome to Thanks for writing your query to me. Asthma is a lifelong and chronic problem. Inhaler treatment is the best standard treatment for asthma. There are two types of inhalers. One is a preventer inhaler like a steroid inhaler, and the other is a reliever for an acute attack. You should always regularly take a preventer inhaler like Budecort 200 (budesonide)- two puffs twice daily with Asthalin ( salbutamol sulphate) inhaler two puffs as required by Zerostat-VT Spacer. Taking an inhaler with spacers is equally useful to taking nebulization. The steroid amount is minimal for inhalers, and side effects are also significantly less than oral treatment. Never take oral bronchodilator medicines like Tab Asthalin or only Asthalin inhaler as they will give only temporary relief and side effects are more. Never stop taking Budecort or Aerocort (beclomethasone dipropionate and levosalbutamol) inhaler as you need to keep your asthma under control. And the cost of emergency medicines is always more than the monthly inhaler cost. I hope everything is clear to you now. You can take your Asthma Specialist's help to monitor and keep your asthma under control regularly. Thanks.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

.. checked the attached report, along with the data you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has COPD which is a chronic obstructive lung disease due to changes in the lung with age and due to smoking.   Read full

Can I use only Asthaline inhaler instead of Montair LC?

.. suggests that you have seasonal bronchial asthma. For confirmation, get the chest X-ray and spirometry done. An Asthalin inhaler alone will not be helpful. I suggest you take Fluticasone, alone or in combination with Formoterol (Formoflo 250).   Read full

My daughter has developed an asthmatic cough. Please suggest a remedy.

Our family doctor said that it was rhinitis and that due to the persistent cold, she has developed the asthmatic cough ... As of now, there are no asthma symptoms ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pulmonologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.