Q. I get asthma problems only during winters. Is it sufficient to take tablets only during attacks?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am a 32-year-old male. I am having an issue with asthma during the winter season for the past five years. Doctor prescribed Mondeslor daily one tablet and Budamate 400 two times. I take it for a complete of times during the winter season, and I was feeling comfortable. Every year I have the same issue. So should I take those medicines throughout the year or only during the winter season without consulting a doctor? I will feel good if I take Mondeslor alone. Should I take Budamate also? What about the disease? Is it curable?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from seasonal asthma. You may have a cold allergy that may aggravate your asthma status in the winter season. Your blood pictures have shown nothing significant (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Well, asthma treatment has set up protocols and set down protocols. You should take your medication according to your severity of asthma status. If you are feeling well without any investigations, then you do not need any medication at all. If you need Mondeslor, which is a combination of both Montelukast and Desloratadine only in the winter season, then you can take that. If you do not need to take an inhaler like Budamate in the winter season, then do not use that. You can consult with your doctor too. He also will advise the same.

Asthma is not a fully curable disease. By taking some medications and abiding some measures, you can control your asthma symptoms and lead a normal life like others.

Any test you want to advise? Can I take Montair-LC, as it is easily available in the local market? Or any other you want to advise?

#

If you want, you can undergo a pulmonary function test, CXR (chest x-ray) PA view, HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) chest, skin prick test, RAST test, etc., to exclude the causes. You can take Montair LC, which is a combination of Cetrizine and Montelukast is used to treat asthma, allergic rhinitis, etc. Both Desloratadine and Levocetirizine are antihistamines, but Levocetirizine has a sedative effect. So Montelukast LC can cause drowsiness as it has Levocetirizine. Mondeslor has Desloratadine, which is non-sedative. If Levocetirizine does not make you sleepy, then you can take Montair LC. I think you do not need any other additional medication. If Montair LC or Mondeslor cannot improve your asthma status, you can easily use your Budamate.

| 

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »

Can asthma be permanently cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My son aged 4 years and 4 months is premature by birth at 34 weeks. His current weight is 15.5 kg. He always used to get a cough and sometimes fever in an interval of every two to three months, especially since last one year. However, there is no other visible physical or mental problem ...  Read Full »

Dust and perfume make me cough. How can I get better?

Query: Hello doctor,Since many years, I am facing a sinusitis problem. When I catch the flu, it gets worse. This time, I caught the flu twice this month. The sinustis got worse and I visited a doctor who prescribed me with a course of Fexet, Klaricid, and Ventek. He said that I need to take Ventek for thr...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now