Q. Is it safe to take Clenbuterol being overweight and asthmatic?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I am 33 years old. My height is 176 cm and I weigh 77 kg. I started hitting gym a month back. I am into 1 hour daily workout, which include both aerobic and anaerobic exercises.  As per the BMI report, I was informed to keep my weight under 67-72 kg. Recently my gym trainer informed me about the pill Clenbuterol and it is safe to go for it. I went through a few websites and came to know it is more effective in burning fat, muscle build up and also used for treating asthma patients. My medical background is, I am an asthma patient. My recent medical checkup indicated that I have BP which is marginally little higher than regular and doctors indicated that it is not that much to be concerned about. I came to know, Clenbuterol is a steroid which has lots of other side effects like muscle cramp, dizziness, hand shaking, heart problems and effect on aorta. It has short and long-term effects too. It is completely banned in few countries and not available through prescription as well. Can you please inform me whether I have to go for it? Also, I want to reduce my weight without any side effects. As I am working as a software engineer, there might be a possibility that I will be traveling across countries and need to go for blood and urine tests for visa approval. I would like to know whether it will cause any problem in these cases as it is an illegal drug. Please let me know if any further details required from my side. Thank you in advance.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

• The drug you have mentioned is a beta2-adrenergic agonist and it can cause bronchodilation in asthmatics and can also burn fat.
  • It has other side effects also such as it can cause tremors, increased heart rate, high blood pressure, muscle cramps and can also alter potassium level in your body. So, it is better to avoid it.
  • Since you are already taking anti-asthma drugs, there is no need of taking this drug.
  • You can take other short acting beta2-adrenergic agonist as required.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thanks for the suggestion. If you do not mind, can you please refer me few beta2 agonist which would be safe and does not have any side effect? As I am suffering from asthma, I am not able to perform my workouts to that extent where I will be able to lose my body fat and bring myself in shape. The drug I am preferring would result in fat burn and enhance my workout capability to greater extent. Thank you.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

• You can use tablet Rotacaps (Salbutamol sulfate) as required, whenever you develop wheezing and brochospasm due to exercise.
  • You can try Duolin inhaler.
  • Try to reduce weight with diet too.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|