iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyatypical pityriasis roseaWhat could cause recurrent itchy rashes on the neck and upper chest even after medications?

Why am I getting recurrent itchy rashes on the right side of the neck and upper chest?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At August 24, 2020
Reviewed AtAugust 22, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 23-year-old female. I have these rashes on one part of my body which is the right side of my neck and some on the upper part of my chest. The first batch of rashes I had was two weeks ago. It looked flat, oval/circle, scaly and is really itchy. I showed a picture of it to our family doctor and said it might be Pityriasis rosea. So she made me take Cetirizine, Zyrtec and apply Foskina B cream on the rashes. I also exposed myself with sunlight for three to five minutes a day because I heard that would help. I also applied Head and Shoulders shampoo on the rashes whenever I take a bath. I was doing these for 10 days. Apparently, the rashes dried up, was not itchy and actually faded. Now it just looks like a dark spot although it is still visible so I continue to put the cream and all the same routine. However, I also noticed that new rashes were growing and it did not look the same as the first batch. These rashes now are small and is not flat. It looks like a kind of pimple. Every day one to three rashes adds up. I just want to ask what is this? What may be the cause? Is it because I am staying inside the house for four months and I do not get enough sunlight? Or is it because I have been so stressed with work? Please help.

Please send us the photograph of all affected areas including the close-ups. What are the symptoms of it? i.e. any pain, burning, or Itching? Any throat infection before the appearance of the rash? Any history of diabetes, hypertension, or family history of the rash? Please reply.

Patient's Query

The first batch of rashes was itchy. The new ones are not. No throat infection. No history of diabetes, nor hypertension, and no family history of rashes. I have attached the photos.

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It could be a lesion of guttate psoriasis or P.rosea. I would advise you to use Mometasone cream twice daily for two weeks. In most cases, these are harmless. Confirmation of diagnosis could only be made on biopsy so it is needed if not relieved in three weeks. I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dermatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy