Audiometry

I have ringing in my ears for a long time. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old, and I have ringing in my ears as long as I can remember, but I have never thought to ask about it until now. Is there something I should be doing? Should I be seeing someone?  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welocme to icliniq.com. The ringing sensation, tinnitus is a subjective sensation, hence should never be neglected. Yes if proper tests are done and you rule out any pathology then we can start behavioural therapy with which you slowly neglect the sounds. Tinnitus is the first sign of path...  Read Full »

I have ear pain after using headphones. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday I used earphones which fit directly into ears for a very long-time. Today I am having extreme unbearable pain in back of head and ears. I have stopped using earphones now. Is there a fast fix for this unbearable back head pain? Can I take Disprin (I never take painkillers)? I us...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My understanding and inference is that the pain is not related to the earphones or sound level. This is because of loud noise which usually produces classical symptoms like giddiness, ringing sound in ear, hearing loss, intolerance to loud sounds and some pain in ear. Y...  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,  My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedur...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conduct...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with CSOM and now, facing dizziness. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, Before five years, I had a left eardrum rupture and transparent watery pus discharge. It turned pale after some time. I tried an ayurvedic ear drop to treat pus discharge. Then, the pus discharge stopped, but there was some itching inside the ear. After 5 years, I was diagnosed to have CS...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having CSOM (chronic suppurative otitis media), but dizziness in CSOM means complications are arising. This seems to be an unsafe type. The best management would be to go for surgery once dizziness settles. You should get a CT scan of the temporal bone to see the ...  Read Full »

Why has the ringing sound in my ear shot up to the point of deafening?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an ear infection that is causing pain, wax build-up and a ringing sound in the ears. I went to the doctor, and they gave me medicines. Shortly after I reached home, the pain seems to be gone mostly, but the ringing has shot up to the point of deafening. Is there any reason for it?...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any ear discharge? Is the discharge always there? Does pus come out? Is there a giddiness or pain? Did you ever traumatize the ear? Is there any hearing difficulty? You will most probably need a course of antibiotics and decongestants to remove the ear infe...  Read Full »

Do I hear little sounds in a quiet room due to my anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and my hearing is good, Is it fine to hear little sound in a quiet room? Can there be a sound of our brain or blood flow?Are these idle mind's thoughts?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have a cold or a cough or any ringing in ears? You should get your ears examined first. The doctor will tell you if you need to get audiometry and tympanometry. Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-docto...  Read Full »

Does holding your nose closed while sneezing cause tinnitus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have sudden constant tinnitus that started last week. I used to hold my nose closed while sneezing from the past four years, but I have stopped doing it now. And I had vertigo a few months back. I also use Rogaine.   Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please answer the following questions. Did you suffer from any loud noise exposure or trauma to the ear? Do you have any history of nasal or throat infection? Did you travel by flight recently? Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://...  Read Full »

What is the safe way to ease tinnitus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting some sound in both the ears. It continues as a mild sound of high frequency and another sound like humming, vibrating and pulsating sound. This becomes noticeable in the quiet zone and less prominent in working or outside areas. It is mild tinnitus, but bothersome in the ni...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you have tinnitus and many medicines are available to cure it. First, get an audiometry done to see if there is any associated hearing loss. I suggest tablet Cinnarizine twice daily for at least three weeks and tablet Vitamin B12 1500 mcg daily. Consult your doc...  Read Full »

What should I do to overcome hearing loss caused by Cialis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old male. I have been taking 5 mg Cialis about once per week for the past three months to help with prostatitis. After every tablet, I would usually notice some mild symptoms such as hearing things differently and sometimes some pressure in the ears. I assumed those we...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cialis contains Tadalafil and hearing loss is a very less common side effect, but it can happen. I would advise you to get an audiometry done as that will tell us if hearing loss is there and its possible cause. Secondly, Tadalafil also causes some nasal congestion, which...  Read Full »

I am having hearing problem only in the left ear. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few days, I am not able to hear properly through my left ear and it is almost down to 50%. I have consulted an ENT specialist and they suggested for a CT scan. Everything is fine in the scan. Sugar and BP levels are normal and they injected some steroids for two days. Still, ...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and you have developed sudden hearing loss in your left ear for the last few days. As you are neither hypertensive nor diabetic, the possibilities are acute labyrinthitis, eustachian tube dysfunction and idiopathic. Now, you have to consult your ...  Read Full »