Q. Can an autistic child's symptoms worsen with age?

Dr. Guruvamsee Krishna Avvaru
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2021

My son is two and a half years old. He was diagnosed with autism when he was one year and eight months old. He got improved now and it is amazing to us. He is talking words, he loves to play, he asks us to play with him, he loves us a lot and he understands what we ask to him. He is interacting with us when he watches television. Now I started to have fear when he started to look at the table intensely. But we distract him easily and he seems to have a lack of eye contact. We do not know whether it is due to autism or because he does not see well. He was born with strabismus and he had surgery for this problem. Now, we have to do another surgery next year. Can you tell me whether autism becomes worst in time?

#

I want to tell you briefly about autistic spectrum disorder. It is a pervasive developmental disorder and it needs a life long diagnosis and a fluctuating course. It will recur any time in life and mainly you need to focus on communication skills. Autistic children are highly heterogeneous in nature and have a genetic cause. Sometimes, they are overstimulated, and sometimes they are understimulated. They have repetitive, recurrent, and stereotyped behavior. The stereotyped behavior means that doing a purposeless repetitive activity with to and fro rocking movements and clapping. The prognosis is poor but it is necessary to improve communication skills, social skill training, and parent training approach. Please say about the siblings of your child.

| 

How to identify if my son has autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of a child with autism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just noticed recently my 15 months old when he plays with his electronic toys that light up. He will look closely at where they light up and open his mouth like a stun. It does not happen all the time though. I know this is a sign of autism. But he has great eye contact, responds ...  Read Full »

Are hiatal hernias related to autism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a son who was diagnosed with autism at 2.5 years. He is now 7 years old. He is verbal now and has improved a lot with the help of therapies. How close is a hiatal hernia associated with autism? We have a history of hiatal hernias in my family. I also read that hiatal hernia can irr...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»