Q. Is there a safe and assured ayurveda treatment for autism?

Dr. Alka

My 3.5 years old mild autistic son is nonverbal. The doctor has given Risperidone (Sizodon) and some vitamin supplements for the last six months. My son is under speech therapy also. As all the allopathy medicine has side effects, is there any safe and assured ayurveda treatment for this condition? To what extent can my son get improved? What is the probable time frame? My son is hyperactive. He cannot focus as there is some sensory issue. He avoids the unknown person, especially same aged children. He is very selective in food and does not chew a few foods. He does not like almost any fruit. His MRI, USG, ECG, allergy panel and blood count were normal. He was vitamin D deficient.

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query.

As you have mentioned about autism, autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder. People start noticing the symptoms in their children during 2 to 3 years of their age.

It might be due to some genetic problem, environmental issue, some infection during pregnancy like Rubella and sometimes no known reason can be ruled out with this problem.

The other symptoms you have mentioned like hyperactivity, lack of focus and difficulty in interaction with other people are all associated with the same problem. The reason behind all this is that your son's neurological and behavioral development is not normal.

Sometimes this problem improves up to a large extent with the help of medicine and other therapies. Sometimes, it can be there as such during a lifetime. No doctor or medicine can assure you about the exact time and the exact progress. But that does not mean you stop trying.

• There are many cases reported which show extreme level improvement with time. So, be patient with the child's growth, as it may take more time as you have expected.
  • The medicine you mentioned Risperidone is an antipsychotic medicine and used extensively in the treatment of autism. The supplements you have mentioned are given for the proper growth of your baby.
  • The gut clear is given because sometimes in these type of babies digestion is not adequate and indigestion may further cause a problem. So, it is provided to maintain digestion.

Now coming to ayurveda medicine, there are prescribed many medicines in ayurveda which will help your baby up to a great extent.

• Swarna prashana, medicine contains gold ashes with many other herbs. It helps in increasing immunity and also increase the intellectual level and improves digestion. Start giving three drops of it early in the morning in empty stomach to your baby for three to four weeks. Do not give it for a longer duration.
  • Syrup Mentat, a blend of many herbs which are helpful in improving mental cognition. Give a half teaspoon of this syrup with water for twice a day for four to six weeks. If he does not take medicine easily, then mix it with honey and give him.
  • As the baby might refuse to take many medicines, I am only suggesting you these two medicines.
  • As an ayurveda gut cleanser, you can give your child freshly prepared buttermilk with a pinch of cumin powder and ginger powder. If he does not like the spices, then give him simply buttermilk.
  • Give him fresh pomegranate juice three or four times a week. Initially, he may not like it; then you can mix the juice with other juices too.
  • Along with all these continue his behavioral therapy. Try to keep him busy in constructive and interesting activities. It will help him a lot.
  • Do regular massage with oils of Gotu kola, sandalwood and rose oils, as it helps in calming his mind and body.
  • Early in the morning expose him to sun rays as it will be helpful in curing his vitamin d deficiency. Try all these regularly and be patient with the baby and circumstances. You will soon feel positive results.

Genetic or environmental.

Revert after a month to an ayurveda specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

Diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses. Could you please answer a few questions?

Query: Hello doctor, I am doing research regarding diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses. Please answer a few questions of mine. What routine medical examinations apart from MMSE and history would you conduct? By this I mean standard routine blood investigations plus other investigations. What clini...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravi M Soni
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your queries and shall answer accordingly. Keep in mind that standard procedures for management may differ in different countries. Answers for your questions: In blood investigations we usually go for complete blood count (CBC), liver function tests (LFT)...  Read Full

How to identify if my son has autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The IQ test does not decide autism. It is determined by the clinical symptoms and signs in your child. Some important signs are disinterest in surroundings, delayed learning skills, delayed language, repetitive and aggressive behavior. If these are present in your ch...  Read Full

Are my symptoms related to autism or bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,I am waiting for an assessment of autism spectrum disorder. In the past few years, I have been misdiagnosed with bipolar, and my current diagnosis is borderline personality disorder. But, I am not sure whats going on really. I am 100 % confident that I am ASD, as it covers my "base pers...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not appear to be related to autism spectrum disorder. It goes more in favor of bipolar disorder with a current episode of mania. A personality disorder can also be there. The differential diagnoses are: Bipolar disorder. Emotionally unstable personality d...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now