Q. My son is unable to speak properly even at the age of 4. What is the problem?

Dr. Nasir

I son is just turned 4, but he is not able to speak properly, you can say he has speech impairment. He is going school, his teacher says he is good in Acadmics such as he know colour names, he recognize all alphabets, he knows numbers and shapes, he love dancing. But he is not understand command most of the time (such as what inside your bag, what is under the chair etc,) At home, he speak somehow such Mama I want milk, on the fan, pls outside etc. He is repeating the sentence last word when you talk to him, such as Where is you bag, he replied bag, Some time he replied by hand. He has attended 15 session of speech thraphy, he improve but still they are saying he is almost 1.5 year delay. Please advise

#

Hello sir

I can understand how difficult it must be for you to to go through all this. Seeing your child go through this must be very difficult. from what I gather from the reports that you have uploaded it seems that your child might be having something in the autism spectrum disorder range. Now this disorder consists of diseases in which the patient has decreased social capabilities. in most of them there is no defect or there is no lack in the child's mental abilities that is to do with scholastic performance. in fact some of them perform better than their counterparts in the same age.

the best treatment for these kind of diseases is behavioral therapy and speech therapy which I think your child is already getting. There are only a few medication which can be used in such conditions which have to be used under the supervision of a psychiatrist or a physician. Though believe this cognitive behavioral therapy will help him the most. I hope I have help to understand the condition a little bit better. Do let me know if you have any more queries. I will be more than happy to help.

|