Q. How to get rid of alcohol content in my ayurvedic medicines?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

I have a parasitic infection. An Ayurveda expert prescribed Vidangarishta and Balarishta for helminths in the dosage of two teaspoons of each medicine twice daily. I want to take them, but they both contain 5 to 10 % of self-generated alcohol. I am, however, sensitive to alcohol. Could you tell me an easy way to evaporate this alcohol?

Is it acceptable to add two teaspoons of both the medicines in a cup and leave it open at room temperature? If yes, then how long will it take for all the alcohol content in it to evaporate?

Would keeping these two medicine bottles open at room temperature for some days help evaporate all its alcohol? If yes, then please specify the duration.

Thanks.

#

The alcohol content in the drug has the role of preservative. So, I feel it should not be evaporated. If we evaporate alcohol, then its expiry period would be reduced.

Instead I suggest you mixing the advised dose with hot water, stir it well, wait for ten minutes, and consume. Heat will evaporate alcohol immediately.

If buttermilk or lemon juice is consumed immediately (10-30 minutes) after consuming the alcohol-based Ayurvedic drug, they neutralize (nullify) the alcohol effect. I feel this is the best practice you can do.

Another option is to ask the same physician to prescribe alternative drugs without alcohol. The similar herbal ingredients are available in different forms (Kashaya, Choorna, Aristam, etc.). The same effect can be obtained with another form of the drug.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please tell me the best alternative forms of these two drugs without any alcohol?

I would prefer them in tablet form or water extracted Kashaya. The doctor is only available to talk online. He has sent me an email saying I must take it, despite the alcohol, which causes me skin flare-ups even in low doses. I request you to give an idea of the best alternatives. I will present them to him for consideration, either now or later.

Thanks and regards.

#

I can understand your situation.

For helminth, tablet Albendazole once at night for the first day followed by tablet Mebendazole twice daily for the next three days. This is the easiest method to deal with worms in the intestine. This course needs to be repeated every six months.

If the pinworms around the anal region cause itching at night, wash with water and wipe it with a towel and make it dry. Put these clothes in the washing machine immediately. Apply talcum powder in the anal region. This method will kill the worms that have come to the anal area to lay eggs. Practice this method whenever there is itching. This is only for the pinworm, not for intra-intestinal worms.

If you do not like this method or if it is not effective, only then use ayurveda for worms, as follows;

1) Vidanga Choornam (Embelia Ribes) in the dosage of 2 grams with water twice daily for two months. It is an alternative to Vidangarishta. This is directly for the worms.

Or take Guggulu Panchapala Choornam (Guggulu, Triphala, long pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom) in the dosage of 2 grams of this powder with water twice daily.

Another alternative is Taramandura guda (Mandura, Gomutra, Guda). Take two tablets twice daily.

2) Shaddharana Choornam (Chitraka, Indrayava, Paadha, Katuka, Athivisha, and Daruharida). Take 2 grams of the Choornam with water twice daily for one month. This is to improve digestion and absorption in the worm infestation. Should take this along with the first drug.

He must have prescribed Balarishta to improve general health. There are many other alternatives, such as the Ashwagantha tablet as an alternative. Kindly get his suggestions furthermore.

|