Q. Can you suggest ayurveda medicine for PCOD and hair loss?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

I have two uterine fibroids each of 2 cm x 1cm size and cysts (PCOD) in the right ovary. I have a heavy hair loss and graying of hair. My hormone levels look normal. My BMI is 24. I also have a gall stone of 1.5 cm. I am trying to conceive. Can you please suggest medicines for the above problem? I am currently on Sukumara ghrita and Ashokarishtam.

#

Your body weight is within normal limit at present. Please maintain it.

For fibroids, two medicines are required. Capsule Rasagandhi mezhugu (one in the morning and one in the evening after food) and tablet Chitramoola kuligai (one in the morning and one in the evening after food) for three months.

Then, do an ultrasonogram to confirm the status. Mostly, it will be disappeared. If still there in smaller size, then you can continue these two tablets for two more months.

• For PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) and conception, you can start taking Aloes compounds, Sukumara ghrita and Ashokadi vati tablet (1 in the morning and 2 at night). These three medicines can be started now itself along with fibroid medicine. They prepare your endometrium and regulate the ovarian function.
  • For graying of hair and gallstone, have Karisalai madakku thailam (an herbal oil) 1 mL with milk in the morning and evening before half an hour of food. If you feel nausea, then can take after one hour of food. Empty stomach intake is better.
  • Apart from these, Agathiyar kuzhambu should be taken to purify your endocrine and reproductive system. This should be taken during menstrual periods (three continuous days). This medicine will improve the rate of pregnancy.

This should be strictly taken under the supervision of ayurveda physicians as this is the special medicine for body purification like panchakarma. This may cause diarrhea and vomiting for a few patients. Usually, we give this medicine for three consecutive cycles. So, the conception may happen in the fourth month onwards.

If the gall stone is not dissolved and causing problems during pregnancy, then laparoscopic surgery will be done. So, better first solve gall stone issue either by drugs or laparoscopy before planning for pregnancy.

For further information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

I have bought Malai vembadi thailam. My husband will buy Agathiyar kuzhambu and other medicines soon.

#

• If you have Malai vembadi thailam, that is enough for this treatment. You can consume it for three days during menstrual days. This oil can be taken in your home also. If the patient is ready to stay in hospital, then Agathiyar kuzhambu is preferred.
  • If your menstrual period is not regular or not coming, then you can choose any consecutive three days of your choice depends on your leave days to stay at home.
  • You need to prepare yourself one day before the therapy. The medicine may be useful for your husband as well. Anybody can use it yearly three times (every fourth month) for a good health.

As I understand, I can take Malai vembadi thailam on any three consecutive days or three menstrual days. Also, Rasagandhi mezhugu and Chitramoola kuligai for fibroids. Can I take Kumaryasava, which I have with me, instead of Aloes compound? I saw your answer to another patient earlier that you recommended Kalarchi choornam and Nandi mezhugu for PCOD and Nilavarai choornam for gall stones. Is that in any way useful for me?

#

You can take Malai vembadi thailam for three consecutive menstrual days. If no menstruation, then you can take any of your choices. Fibroid medicine is same as you mentioned.

• Kumaryasava can be taken instead of Aloes compounds. Also, continue Sukumara ghrita and Ashokarishtam. Some patients may develop gastritis or teeth staining or diarrhea with Ashokarishtam. If so, then use Aloes compounds and Ashokadi vati tablet.
  • Karisalai madakku thailam is same as you mentioned. The same oil should be applied as hair oil, scrub in the scalp as gentle massage for 10 minutes daily. This is the concentrated form. The same herbal in diluted form with other herbals available as Bhringaraja thailam to hair.
  • Kalarchi choornam and Nandhi mezhugu is given to PCOD cases with hypothyroidism and obese. This may not suit for you. Nandhi mezhugu and Rasaganthi mezhugu are similar drugs. But, Nandhi mezhugu is superior to Rasaganthi mezhugu for fibroid uterus.

For big size fibroids, we give Nandhi mezhugu instead of Rasaganthi mezhugu. If you wish to use Nandhi mezhugu, can be used. During the treatment of Nandhi mezhugu or Rasaganthi mezhugu, usually conception may not happen as these drugs do not allow growth of conception. But, you should prepare your uterus by taking fertility promoting drugs mentioned earlier now onwards.

Similarly, Nilavarai choornam for gall stones is given in cases associated with constipation, overweight and cholesterol issues. You can take Nilavarai choornam at night 1 g in hot water, whenever you feel constipation. It can be added to your protocol. This can prevent future stone formation.

Karisalai madakku thailam is not available as checked by my husband. Is there any alternative for gray hair and gall stone?

#

• You may request nearby medical shops to arrange for it. They can do it within a week. This is the ideal drug for you. This can be taken for hair as well as orally.
  • If this is not available, then for hair (scalp) application, get Bhringaraja thailam or Neelibringaraja oil.
  • For oral, tablet Karisalai karpam tablet is available and this also contains the same herbal. This is for both gray hair and gall stone. In addition, take Nilavarai choornam as well.

|