Q. My 3-month-old baby only drinks 400 ml of milk in a day. Is it normal?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a mother of a three-month-old baby. My baby is not eating enough and it resulted in causing other issues such as constipation, gas, and decreased urine output. I have tried changing many bottles and formulas. But nothing helped him. He just takes around 400 ml of milk in a maximum of 24 hours. He cries a lot when I introduce bottles near him. He opens his bowel one time a day or sometimes goes without it for three or more days. I consulted a doctor to resolve this problem. He told me that there is nothing to help in this issue. I am really frustrated and seeking help. Please help.

#

It is normal to have a weight of 5.9 kilograms in a three month old child. This is the weight that is usually present in a six months old child. So this definitely means that feeds are more than sufficient for the child. It is normal in children below the age of six months to have stools for ten to twenty times a day or once in two to three days. Both are fine and they are not referred to as constipation or diarrhea. So treatment is not required in these cases. Treatment is required only when the child has fever or lethargy or refusal of feed. It is a normal phenomenon to have gases and nothing to be done for it. Regarding decreased urine output, if the child passes urine even five times a day, then it is quite fine.

|