My 2-year-old daughter has had constipation since last year. What can be done to treat it?

Q. How to treat constipation in a 2-year-old?

Answered by
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2023 and last reviewed on: Feb 21, 2023

Hello doctor,

My daughter is 2 years and 10 months old and has been facing constipation problems since she was one. I have consulted many doctors and had medicine, but no use. They say it is her fear of going. She only goes after three or four days. She also does not have growth progression as per her age. She is 85 cm tall and 10.9 kg in weight. She was 2.5 kg when she was born. She had a fever a week ago. After that, she is facing severe hair fall.



Welcome to

I suggest you give the child syrup Duphalac (Lactulose) 10 ml twice daily for ten days, along with plenty of water for ten days. Reduce intake of bread and bakery products, milk, chocolates, and chips. Increase intake of water for long-term benefits with regard to constipation. Hair loss is possible because of malnutrition. After the child has an intake of at least one liter of water per day and all the above dietary modifications are met, you can give the following supplements:

Syrup Zincovit (vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, D3, E, Folic acid, and blends of minerals like Zinc, Magnesium, Manganese, and Iodine) 5 ml in the morning for three months.

Syrup Calcimax P (Calcium, Cholecalciferol, and minerals like Phosphorus, Zinc, and Magnesium) 5 ml in the morning and the afternoon for three months.

Syrup Feronia XT (Ferrous ascorbate and Folic acid) 5 ml at night for three months.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them, and take medications with their consent. As regards fever, Please check the temperature with a thermometer. If the temperature is 100 Fahrenheit or more, I suggest you give her syrup Crocin DS (Paracetamol), 2.5 ml, as and when required, every four to six hours. If the temperature is 102 Fahrenheit or more, you can give syrup Ibugesic Plus 2.5 ml as and when required every six to eight hours. If the temperature stays above 100 Fahrenheit for more than three days or if it crosses 103 Fahrenheit, I suggest you get her evaluated physically by a pediatrician with possible blood investigations based on physical examination.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
New Parents - Common Questions Answered

3)Breastfeeding and Diet: In this area, the instructions are fairly simple ... Only breastfeeding until 6 months of age ...   Read full

My baby is 11 months old and weighs the same for the past four months. Is it normal?

Height growth is normal ... Can I have any suggestion about my baby's growth ...   Read full

Constipation In Children - Causes, Prevention, and Management

.. often unrecognized and neglected by most. This article discusses the causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment for constipation in children .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.