Q. What should I do to treat the constipation in a 2 year old child?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 31, 2019

My baby is 2 years old. For the past four months, she gets constipated. She has to move her bowels daily because if she does not have it more than 24 hours, she will get constipated. We tried changing her milk, but it only made her stools harder. She is currently on similac go and grow. We add water on her milk because she hates drinking water and she is a very picky eater. I use pedia lax to help move her bowels. What should I do?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Instead of using 30 ml water with each scoop, please add 45 ml water to each scoop for making the formula. Also, reduce the consumption of milk and simultaneously increase the consumption of fruits, vegetables, chicken, etc., whatever the child likes. As of now, you can use laxatives as and when required. However, as soon as a week or two after the above diet changes are made, the need for a laxative should be much lesser than what it is now.

Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?

Query: Hello doctor, We are living in a building. It has four floors. We are on the third floor. There is a mobile tower on the roof. Is there any harm to the baby and us due to the tower? Please advise us if there is any harm, then what to do? The baby is three months old.  Read Full »

Though my baby is exclusively breastfed, why does he fail to thrive?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full »

How to know if a baby is getting the right amount of milk?

Query: Hi doctor, How to know if a baby is getting the right amount of milk?  Read Full »