Q. Why is my 19 months old daughter having constipation since we started giving her solid food?

Dr. Sirisha
Published on Oct 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 19 months old daughter weighs 7 kg and is 2.3 feet tall. She has been suffering from constipation since we started giving her solid food, that is since the seventh month.  She cries while passing stool, and her anus becomes red after she passes stool for around two or three times a day. Our doctor suggested to skip milk and milk cereals and to continue mother's milk. Also, she drinks less water. He prescribed Anovate cream and Eva Q syrup, which we were giving her from the past three months, but did not see any improvement. Recently, the doctor changed the medicine to Muout powder, two times a day. How many months are we supposed to continue this? When will my daughter be fine? What should be her diet? Can we give milk with honey? Please help.

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

• Constipation is a common problem for children of this age. We should try to rule out any significant medical causes like anal stenosis and for this, you have to visit a pediatric surgeon.
  • Dietary changes like avoiding milk products should be started as suggested by your doctor when no other cause is found.
  • Give a fiber-rich diet, fresh fruits and plenty of liquids. You can try apple or pear juices as they are beneficial.
  • Muout powder (Polyethylene glycol) is a good medicine. You should take one scoop of the powder in 100 to 150 mL of water twice daily for two weeks, and once the symptoms get better, then you can give the powder only in the night for three months.
  • You have to use it for at least three months because only then the bowel habit gets regularized. It is a lengthy treatment, but please stick to it.
  • Avoid high-calorie food like sugar, fries, etc. Your daughter's weight is very less. Try to improve her diet as that will improve the general well-being as well.
  • Milk can be given with honey.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My wife could notice blood in her stools.Could you please advise us with proper guidance?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife (age 33 years) has been suffering from piles related issues since last 10 years. It occurred after her delivery (in 2003) and was harmless at that time. We are having an eleven year old daughter. Recently she started experiencing pain and itching while going to toilet. Also sh...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Is my 8 months old baby suffering from Hirschsprung's disease or severe constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have gotten two different opinions from two pediatricians about my 8 months old boy. One says my boy has Hirschsprung's disease, and the other says it is just constipation. The first doctor did a rectal exam, yielding no explosive stools, and he wants my son to get a barium enema. The ...  Read Full »