Q. My baby is suffering from frequent cough and is allergic to cold. What medicine should be given?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Nov 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

My baby is 3.5 years old and weighs about 12 kg. She is suffering from frequent cough and she is allergic to cold. What medicine should be given?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Everyone has an allergy to cold, its severity varies between individuals. If she had recurrent episodes of cough, and it associated with wheezing then, it could be hyper-reactive airway disease. It is common but sometimes it may turn out to asthma, it is more common if there is a family history of similar illness. Anyways, the viral infection is common and some people may have 10-12 times in a year. No need to worry about this.

Advice: Best is if you do not give any medicine except Paracetamol if associated with fever.

If the cough is interactable then you can use these medicines.

1. Syrup Honitus 5 ml, four times a day.

2. Syrup Coriminic (Phenylephrine HCl and Chlorpheniramine maleate) one tea spoon three times a day.

3. If there is wheezing, then give syrup Asthalin (Salbutamol Sulfate) 5 ml three times a day.

4. If associated with fever, give syrup Paracetamol 5 ml whenever fever occurs.

5. Give fresh food, plenty of water, and tomato soup.

Report back if needed, otherwise, it will take three to five days to resolve.

How can I prevent dust allergy affecting my eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dust allergy. Because of that my eyes are a kind of yellowish and sometimes red. What should I do to make it white and how can I stop this allergy?  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following line of treatment is warranted for eye allergy. 1. Soft steroids like Loteprednol in the form of eye drops for 2 to 3 weeks to control allergy. 2. Olopatadine as a long term therapy once a day (maintainenc therapy). 3. Topical lubricants like Refresh tears...  Read Full

My 19 months old baby has fever of 102 and cough from yesterday. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has a viral fever, and now it is transmitted to my baby girl aged 19 months. She has a fever and cough since yesterday. Today I checked her body temperature, and it was 102. Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please give syrup Crocin (125 mg/5 ml) as per the weight of the child (4 to 6 hourly if the temperature is above 100 F). You can give syrup Ibugesic (Ibuprofen) as per the weight of the child if the temperature is 102 F and above. Regarding cough, please give syrup L...  Read Full

Why is there frequent cough with cold and fever in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 1 year and 10 months old and is suffering from severe cough and cold. She also had some kind of cough and cold since 15 to 20 days and after a dose of Azitral for five days she got cured. Now again she has caught cough mainly dry cough. in the night situation became wor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I note that your daughter is having a second episode of cough and cold within 15 to 20 days. Cough is quite common and tends to be more noticeable at night. Many children suffer during seasonal changes. Your doctor may have prescribed Augmentin Duo (antibiotic) to tr...  Read Full