Q. What does it mean if my 1-week-old newborn is coughing a lot while crying?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

My newborn baby is 1-week-old, and she cries a lot. She coughs a lot throughout her crying. This is the only time she coughs. She does not have a fever and does not show any signs of illness. What does this mean?

Should I be concerned?

Kindly help.

#

1) Is she on exclusive breastfeeding?

2) How is her breathing?

3) How is her poop and pee?

Burp her well after feeds. And kindly revert with the answers.

Thanks for the reply.

Her breathing is normal and she is exclusively breastfed. She pees a lot and her poop is watery.

My only query is that she is coughing throughout while she is crying. But when she is wide awake with her eyes open, she is not coughing. Could this be symptoms of reflux?

Thanks.

#

In reflux, baby has vomiting and increased cough during sleeping position. Kindly burp her well and watch for vomiting during sleep. Feed her from one side at a time, so that she gets both fore milk and hind milk.

Does she have difficulty in feeding or fuss a lot during feeding?

Thanks for the reply.

She is coughing a lot only when she is crying. She does not cough any other time. We have not seen any vomiting, but she is spitting up some of her milk. She does not have any difficulty while feeding. Her latch is excellent. We only breastfeed her, and for each feed, we alternate sides.

Thanks.

#

Do not alternate sides for every feeds. Kindly start to feed her from one side till it empties and then put her on another side. By doing this baby will get both foremilk and hindmilk, and her satiety would be achieved. Also, burp her well after each feed. Put baby in head-up position for few minutes after feeding.

|