Q. What medicines can be taken to cure stuffy nose and cough in an infant?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Nov 18, 2019

My infant daughter who is 8 weeks old is having stuffy nose and cough since yesterday. Kindly advise us how to take care of her and prescribe medicines necessary for her to take. We are worrying especially of her cough.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The child will have to be evaluated for reflux disease. It is a very common illness in this age group. Do not worry. The best way to control the coughing and the stuffy nose is to keep the baby at an angle of 30 to 40 degrees from ground level after feeding. You may also consider the use of reflux pillow for the same. From the medication point of view you can start drops Perinorm 0.5 ml thrice a day for 5 to 7 days and observe. Observe for one week. If there is no improvement investigations like X-ray test and a reflux study may need to be done after a physical evaluation by a pediatrician.

Thank youu doctor,

Can we use Otrivin nasal drops to my 8 weeks baby's stuffy nose? She is having difficulty to suck breastmilk because of the stuffy nose.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Using Otrivin in such a small child is not advisable. Instead you can use nasoclear nasal drops, two drops in each nostril followed by nasal suction with baby nasal suction bulb.

Why is there frequent cough with cold and fever in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 1 year and 10 months old and is suffering from severe cough and cold. She also had some kind of cough and cold since 15 to 20 days and after a dose of Azitral for five days she got cured. Now again she has caught cough mainly dry cough. in the night situation became wor...  Read Full »

My nose is closed by cough for the past seven days. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 32 years female with 5'5" in height and 60 kg weight. My nose is closed by cough for the past seven days. Kindly advice.  Read Full »

My 19 months old baby has fever of 102 and cough from yesterday. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has a viral fever, and now it is transmitted to my baby girl aged 19 months. She has a fever and cough since yesterday. Today I checked her body temperature, and it was 102. Please advice.  Read Full »