Q. Why is my baby passing greenish loose motion?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 5 months 15 days old baby is having loose motion from yesterday and he has passed 8 to 9 times greenish motion. Please sugest me what I can do.

#

Do not worry about the color of the stool as long as it is not red and does not contain blood. Please give syrup Zincolife 2.5 ml once a day for 14 days. Also, give ORS solution (prepare solution as advised in the instructions given) as 10 ml/kg with the passage of each loose stool to keep the baby hydrated. It will take atleast 4 days for loose motions to be controlled after starting these medicines.

Watch for signs of dehydration like lethargy, refusal to feed, poor skin turgor, dry oral mucosa. If these signs are present it is indicative of dehydration. In such cases and also, if the child is passing blood in stools, it is advisable to admit the child to the nearest hospital after evaluation.

|