Q. My toddler hit on hard floor and her gum bled heavily. Should I be worried?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Yesterday, my toddler was running in our living room, she fell and hit her mouth on the hardwood floor. I immediately picked her up and rushed her to the bathroom. There was a good amount of blood that was coming from the gums of her two front teeth. The bleeding stopped quickly and her mouth seemed to be bothering her, but today she is acting normal and from what I can see, there is no visible tooth damaged but I am afraid to brush her teeth or give her anything too hard to eat. Should I be worried?

#

I went through your query. It hurts a lot seeing a kid in pain.

The best way is to take a cotton ball squeeze in cold water and place over the bleed and apply gentle pressure. The cold cotton ball prevents any signs of inflammation and pain too to quite an extent and also stops the bleeding very fast. But you did well as the kid is fine today. Kindly place your finger and try to check if the tooth is mobile. If it is not, you can resume the normal food by tomorrow. Nothing to worry, kids heal faster. No medications needed.

If you want, I can have a look if everything is fine. Kindly upload an image of the front tooth portion and I will let you know if everthing is fine.

|