Q. Is the air conditioner the reason for my son's high temperature and unhealthy sleep pattern?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My 2-year-old son is having a high body temperature of about 99.5 F to 101 F. The temperature rise is felt mainly in the forehead for more than a month. We use AC more often. Could this be due to Ac? If not, what may be the causes of his high temperature?

Secondly, he cannot have a sound sleep. Every night he will wake up after two to three hours of sleep, and he becomes restless and cry for the whole night though he looks sleepy.

Kindly help to make him have a good sleep pattern.

#

The answer to your queries are as follows;

1) Temperature of 99 F, 100 F, and even 101 F are not considered high. Only if the temperature is more than 104 F it should be concerned.

2) It is important to know the method of recording the temperature. It will not be accounted if the temperature is recorded from the forehead, oral cavity, rectum, or ears. Only a temperature taken from the armpit with the digital thermometer is reliable.

3) If in digital thermometer in the armpit shows a temperature of 103 F or more for more than three days, the child needs to be investigated.

4) Regarding sleep issues, I presume that the child will have a blocked nose due to the air conditioner leading to sleep disturbances. So, kindly maintain your room temperature at no less than 100 F.

5) AC cannot cause fever.

I am not getting your answers for my today's queries.

#

I have not got your questions at all. Please put up your queries.

1. Since from the second week of this month to now, my son's (23 months old) temperature particularly in his forehead and around it remains around 99 degrees Fahrenheit to 101 degrees Fahrenheit. But the other parts of the body are in normal temperature (we use forehead temperature). When I touched the region around the forehead, it remain hotter than the other parts of the body. Though he has a high temperature in his head, he does not feel or look like he is having a fever. So, I would like to know whether this is fever or is it some other different health problem?

2. Secondly, my son has constipation. At first, he had a hard stool for a week followed by an absence of bowel movement for 4 to 5 days now. We gave him Eva Q 5 ml once daily for three days but still no bowel movement. He has no bloating, fullness, or other problems except with hard stool and now no bowel movements at all. Kindly prescribe the required medicines for him.

3. Thirdly, my son's sleeping problem started when he was about 4 or 5 months old. Not only night time but even day time too that he will not be able to sleep soundly for a long time. After sleeping for about 2 hours, he would wake up as if disturbed by something. After waking up once, he would be restless and would not sleep though he feels sleepy. Kindly prescribe medicines if there is anything that could help him to sleep soundly and comfortably. Thanks, Doctor.

#

1. Measuring the temperature of the forehead is a wrong technique as I have explained previously. It is not a health problem.

2. As regards constipation, start the child on MuOut powder for 14 days. (Dose should be as per current weight and age of the child). Reduce intake of chips, chocolates and increase intake of water.

3. Proper sleep cycle starts at the age of 6 to 8 years. Till then sleep cycles may be erratic. It could be very much possible that the child may be having stomach pain due to constipation causing the child to wake up in the middle of the sleep. Hence, if constipation is treated, then the sleep cycle will get improved.

My son is 23 and a half months old with a weight of 11.2 kilograms. How much amount of MuOut powder should be given?

#

You can give Muout powder as 2 scoops in 1 glass of water early in the morning on empty stomach for 2 to 3 consecutive days after which you will need to reduce the dose to 1/2 scoop in 1 glass of water early in the morning on empty stomach for the next 12 days.

According to PBS, the RBC series shows a mild degree of hypochromia with predominantly normocytic hypochromic cells and few microcytes. There are no nucleated RBCs and no target cells. WBCs are normal in number morphology and distribution as per age. Platelets are adequate. There are no abnormal cells or hemiparasite seen. The above is the blood test report of my son. What does the report exactly say of my son? Is there something serious about my son? The chest X-ray and ultrasound of the abdomen are both normal.

#

Neopeptine or for that matter any digestive enzyme medications are not advised unless there is a proven indication for the same. The blood report indicates very minimal anemia (low iron). However, iron can only be started after the MuOut course is over.

Doctor, please answer my queries. According to PBS, the RBC series shows a mild degree of hypochromia with predominantly normocytic hypochromic cells and few microcytes. There are no nucleated RBCs and target cells seen. WBCs are normal in number morphology and distribution as per age. Platelets are adequate. There are no abnormal cells or hemiparasite seen. The above is the blood test report of my son. What does the report exactly say about my son's health? Is there something serious? The chest X-ray and ultrasound of the abdomen report are both normal.

#

The blood reports suggest iron deficiency anemia. However, iron cannot be started unless the muout course is completed.

1. Now my son is able to have regular bowel movements after taking muout powder. But now my son's stool is too watery and he use to poo three to four times a day. Shall he continue to take muout powder or not?

2. Kindly prescribe the required medicines for my son having iron deficiency anemia.

3. Thirdly, yesterday my neighbor who is a pharmacist advised me to give my son Smouth suspension 5 ml once daily for three months. He told me that long-time use of laxatives can lead to dependency and decreased bowel function. If so, then I think giving SMUTH SUSPENSION for three months long. Will it be harmful? or is this still safe for my son? kindly explain.

#

1. Please check the dose of Muout given to the child. It is given in tapered dose with a high dose (2 scoops ) for the first two days and a low dose (1/2 scoop) for the next 12 days. All depending on the weight of the child. It may be given daily with the same dose along with other laxatives leading to watery stools. Please look into it and let me know.

2. The child will require Syrup Ferronia XT (30 mg/5 ml) 5 ml (Ferrous ascorbate) once at night for 1 month.

3. I do not recommed Smuth syrup.

Yes, doctor, you did not prescribe smuth suspension for my child. And I also did not give smuth suspension to my son. I asked just to know whether giving a smuth suspension three months long is safe or not because someone advised doing so. Thanks.

#

No problem. Please do not give Smuth.

My son's present illness is sleeplessness and restlessness at night which cause him to lose weight and be weak. He has hotness around the forehead and looks like his teeth gums and around it remains redder. Bowel movement is there but with a small quantity of stool. During the daytime, he is restless and irritated but I do not know what is troubling him because he cannot speak and tell us. Kindly tell me whether the above illness symptoms in my son are due to iron deficiency anemia or because of other problems.

#

The above symptoms are interrelated and mostly seem to be due to constipation which causes restlessness due to stomach discomfort. The weight loss may again be due to stomach discomfort which makes the child consume lesser food. You have not mentioned how much weight loss the child has undergone. The treatment for constipation as well as iron deficiency has already been explained previously. It will take atleast a week for you to see the effects. The gums being red may be due to teeth eruption. As regards to hotness around the head, you have already checked the temperature and I have previously even explained to you how temperature is to be checked and what fault was there in your checking.

His weight is 10.5 kilograms now. Before one and a half months, his weight was 12.5 kilograms. If this is fine, kindly prescribe medicine for appetite.

#

After the course of Muout, you can start,

1. Syrup. Zincovit 2.5 ml once a day for 3 months.

2. Syrup. Calcimax P 5 ml twice a day for 3 months. Continue Iron supplements as advised.

Can medicine like gripe water and Sporit GG Sachet be given to my child while giving muout powder?

#

Gripe water is not at all recommended. Giving a medication for loose motions (Sporit GG) when you are giving medications for passing motions (MuOut) does not make sense.

Thanks for helping us, doctor.

#

Ok, no problem.

|