Q. Kindly tell the treatment for recurrent cough and fever in a 5-year-old.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 5-year-old boy has a cough for three days and today he has a mild fever too. He also has a runny nose and watery eyes. Last month also he had a viral cold infection. Can you please guide me what should I do? I am giving him honey. And he gets sick so much. And he has a runny nose almost all the time. I think he has rhinitis allergies. But I am not sure.

#

Please continue giving honey to the child as one tablespoon twice a day. You can also give the honey in warm milk to provide a soothing effect. You can give Panadol for the fever. However, with regards to the child falling ill recurrently with a cough, cold and fever, it seems more so like a hyperreactive airway disease. We may need to start the child on Montelukast for a few months and see the change.

|