Q. My 2-year-old kid is having high fever for the past 2 days. Can high WBC be the cause?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

My baby is 2 years old. She is having a high fever for two days now. Last month when she had a fever we found out that her WBC is so high. We tested her twice and the second test shows lower results but it is still not normal. So her pediatrician advised me to have a third test but due to pandemic I did not do it and my baby was doing well. Now I think the problem is still with her WBC. What do you think? Please advise.

#

Whenever we suffer an infection, our body’s immune mechanism comes into action. Those immune cells are nothing but WBCs (white blood corpuscles). So if the WBCs are high, then either there is an infection or the body is trying to fight bad cells in the body. WBCs are not the cause of infection. But it can cause fever by its actions. So whenever someone has a fever, it is very likely that they also have a high WBC count. There are different types of WBCs which increase/decrease in different situations.

So the aim of doing blood tests is to see if only one type of WBCs are involved or there are multiple increased cell lines. Our diagnosis depends heavily on which type of WBCs are increased. So please put up the baby’s blood sample reports.

|