Q. My 3-year-old daughter has a fever despite giving Meftal P every six hours. Can I give it every four hours?

A 3-year-old child has a high fever for the last 24 hours. Giving Meftal P 5 ml every six hours, but the fever comes up in four hours. The child is crying. Should I give the dose in four to five hours? Kindly give your opinion.

#

For fever, I suggest you give medication as mentioned below:

1) Syrup Paracetamol (250 mg/5 ml) 4 ml as and when fever. You can repeat it every 4 hours if needed.

2) Syrup Meftal-P (50 mg/5 ml) (Mefenamic Acid) 5 ml if the fever does not subside after one hour of Paracetamol. You can repeat it every eight hours if needed.

It will help to control fever, but you need to take care of the cause of the fever. I hope this was helpful.

Thank you,

He has no other symptom except a blocked nose I am hearing. Also, please note, the first dose I gave him was Crocin 240 mg 3.5 ml yesterday night. The fever did not subside then I gave Ibugesic plus 7 ml after five hours. The fever came back again after six hours. I consulted his pediatrician. He prescribed Meftal P 5 ml every six hours. But fever is coming back in four to five hours. Kindly guide me.

#

For nose block, I suggest using Normal Saline Nasal Drops (Sodium Chloride Solution), two drops in each nostril every four hours (keep the head of your child a bit low while putting nasal drops).

The remaining everything is fine, preferably use Paracetamol which can be used every four hours if needed. If there is no fever, then do not give it.

As per the information provided, your child has a viral fever, which may take some time to subside, and fever may recur. Just keep a watch on feeds, give a good quantity of liquids (water, juice, soups, milk, etc.) and watch for urine output. If oral intake is good and passing normal urine, then nothing to worry about as there are no other symptoms.

I hope this was helpful.

I will get back if i notice anything else.

#

Please get back if you have further doubts. Take care.

|