Q. What is the recommended dosage of Meftal for fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Mar 19, 2019

My son is 3 years 3 months old and weighs 14.1 kg. His fever, cough, and cold started from 100.3, so we gave Crocin 240 mg / 5 mL syrup 4 mL every 6 hours on the first day. As it was a viral fever, it was 103.5 at night. The doctor told us to continue 4 mL for 4 hours and give a sponge bath, and if the temperature is more than 102, Meftal-P 100 mg suspension 6 mL is prescribed. Today at 10 AM it was 102.5 (it was 101.3 4 hours back ), so we gave Meftal 6 mL, and within 30 min he became active. The dose is not printed in bottle unlike in Crocin, so I want to double check the dose 6 mL for every 4 hours if it is 102.5.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please give Meftal 5 mL (6 hourly) if the temperature is above 101 F or if not controlled on Crocin (Paracetamol). You can give Meftal (Mefenamic acid) 4 hours after giving Crocin.

After 4 hours of Meftal 6 mL (10 AM today), we checked the temperature at 2 PM, and it was 97.6 F. When tested after 8 hours (6 PM), it was 100.7. He was active during 8 hours after Meftal. Now we gave Crocin at 6 pm as it was not above 101 F and he is still not okay. Even after 1.5 hours he is not as good as before and we fell little hot when we hold him which was not noticed before. So can we continue with Meftal 5 mL after 4 hours (10 PM today ) if it is 100 F or above can we continue to check every 6 hours? Is it advised to stop Crocin? Cough is now better than before after we started Saline Nasal Solution spray.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Yes, you can continue with Meftal as per requirement. Please check the temperature as and when required or 6 hourly.

Crocin is a very basic medicine. You do not need to stop it. You can use Crocin or Meftal or Ibugesic based on the temperature of the child. Each has its own role to play.

Regarding the coughing you can continue the same medications as going on if it is helping.

Hi Sir, today he got loose motion and it was in green colour. Initially he had normal and followed by loose motion. Today at 6 am, he had 102.6 F so we gave meftal 5ml. Now he is good and having breakfast. Yesterday night at 10 pm he had 100.9 so we gave meftal 5ml. Little worried because of loose motion and can we give bath ? Currently we are giving sponge bath when ever we give medicine. Today is 3rd day since he got fever.

Just to give what he had since yesterday . Morning Ragi mart, Afternoon Ragi mart and very little rice - sambar (not spicy), night wheat floor dosa and twice he had milk in night ( 240 ml each ).

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
# 1. Please start enterogermina 1 respule twice a day for 5 days for the loose motions.
2. Also give ors 150 ml with passage of each loose stool to prevent dehydration. Watch for dehydration.
3. If fever persists beyond 3 days it is best to get the child evaluated physically followed by blood tests and other relevant investigations as per examination findings.
4. Continue other fever medications as required.
Okay Doctor. One clarification on point 3. Today is 3rd day so should we wait for 3 more days from now if the fever persists or tomorrow we should take him for blood test / hospital.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
# No. You should get the child evaluated if fever persists tomorrow also.
Ok sure. Enterogermina Oral Suspension or Enterogermina capsule ?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
# Enterogermina is an oral suspension u get in small bottles called respules. You can look it up on google images to get a better idea of how the bottle looks like. The dose is one such bottle twice a day for 5 days.
Yes Doctor, Got the picture on google. Thank you very much

Please advice on when and at what dosage Meftal-P must be given for fever.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter (3 years 11 months old) has a fever for the last five days. My doctor prescribed Calpol syrup for normal fever. If the fever is more, then he told to give Meftal-P for my daughter. When can I give this Meftal-P? Before food or after food? How much mL I have to give and let ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to give Meftal-P and Ambrocof-LS to my infant to cure fever and cough?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is just 32 days old. He is having some cough and cold symptoms. I had a visit to the local physician and was advised to give him Meftal-P, Cefpodoxime Proxetil suspension IP and Ambrocof-LS drops. Please suggest if these medicines are safe?  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article