Q. Why does my 2-year-old-child have a fever although his chest is clear?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

My two-year-old child has been having fever on and off for the past three days. We took him to the closest hospital because his temperature was still 104 degree Fahrenheit after giving him Tylenol and Ibuprofen. The doctor listened to his lungs and said he sounded fine. They checked his vitals, they said his vitals were fine and discharged us. In the discharge papers, it said he had a respiratory virus. But he is not showing any symptoms of a respiratory virus and is still running temperatures of 101.5 to 103.4 degree Fahrenheit. Should I take him to a different hospital or wait for two days till the pediatric department opens?

#

The reason for your doubt as to why does the child still have a fever when the doctor said that he is fine is that viral infection in the tracheobronchial system does not produce any sounds detectable when auscultating. Most of the doctors say that "the chest is clear" which I do not approve of in my personal experience because the viral infection is there which does not produce any audible sounds. In this case, I would give a safe antibiotic like Syrup Moxclav BD 228.5 mg (Amoxicillin 200 mg and Clavulanic acid 28.5 mg) in a dosage based on his weight. I suggest him 2.5 ml of Syrup Moxclav BD 228.5 mg along with syrup Paracetamol. If the cough sets in, an expectorant has to be added. Take care and update me on the progress of your child's condition.

A common doubt may be possible as to why should an antibiotic be given in a viral infection. But when there is a compromise of immunity by a viral infection, secondary infection by bacteria is a corollary to the infection by the virus.

|