Baby Normal Behavior

Why is my baby's head so big?

Query: Hi doctor, I was blessed with twin baby girls before three months. It was a premature C-section at 36th week. At birth, one of my baby head size was 33 cm. After some days, it was 36.5 cm. So, the doctor was surprised and sent for an ultrasound scan. I have attached the first report of the scan. It ...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. The head circumference of 40.5 cm at 8 weeks of age is definitely abnormal. In addition to that, the scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a 7-month-old baby to have jerks?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 months old baby boy is dropping down his head occasionally. Sometimes, he has some mild jerks. Jerks were at the time after his feeding or after he wakes up. That time, he just swallows or lick his lips with tongue. Otherwise, his activities are very normal. He can hear us, identify...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your question with care and understand that you are concerned about few jerks your kid has. First and foremost, I would like to appreciate and congratulate you for giving detailed descriptions. Regarding the jerks, they are quite normal for his age. You need t...  Read Full »

Why did not my 5-month-old daughter roll from yesterday?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 5 months old. She started rolling at her fifth month birthday. She rolled for two or three days. But, she did not roll since yesterday. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A baby starts to roll or turn on its back at 5 months of age. Since your child has started to roll at 5 months, this is absolutely normal for this age. In initial days, the movements are a bit slow which the child picks in a few days. So, you should not worry abo...  Read Full »

Can I give Babygesic drops for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby, who is 1 year old, is suffering from fever. It is 104 Fahrenheit from last one hour. Please help me.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you to give him a Panadol drop (Paracetamol) about 8 to 10 drops or 2.5 mL for every eight hours for fever. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent. If his fever is not coming down, then please do cold ...  Read Full »

Which type of vaccination is good, painless or painful?

Query: Hello doctor,My son's tongue comes out while sleeping and most of the time. He is six weeks old. While breastfeeding, he uses his tongue to suck the milk. Is this normal? Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since the child is just six weeks old, you need not worry. It is normal for the baby to do this. It is just a variation. Do not panic and just relax. Watch your baby grow and change habits as he grows. For further information consult a child health specialist online --...  Read Full »

Does a fall cause brain and IQ damage in a baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter of 6 months old had a fall yesterday from 20 inches height. She had a hit on the backside of her head. She cried loudly and I immediately applied lot of water on the backside of her head. She became fine within a minute and she is totally fine now. Will it affect her intellig...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fall from height does cause injury, a known fact. Human body has protective mechanisms against such accidents. One is bony skull, which prevents force to hit brain inside. It is not that effective in children. Next is fluid inside the skull surrounding brain does prevent...  Read Full »

My premature baby has failed his hearing test. What to do next?

Query: Hello doctor,I am writing regarding the newborn screening of my baby. He was prematurely born at 29 weeks and spent 40 days in NICU. During his stay, we tested his hearing via OAE method. At first, both the ears did not respond and in the second screening, the left ear was perfect. But, there was ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The BERA (brainstem evoked response audiometry) report shows a profound hearing loss in the right ear. OAE (otoacoustic emissions) shows an absence of OAE in the right which means the inne...  Read Full »

My 6 weeks old daughter is suffering from loose motion. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 6 weeks old and suffering from loose motion. Her stool is yellowish and watery. She is passing stools with a fart. She passed stools for more than 10 times in 4 hours now. She is completely on breastfeeding. She is not pale and her lips are not dry. Also, she has some ra...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks to be your first child. Normally, children below the age of 6 months pass stools 10 to 15 times a day or once in two days. So, do not worry. Please stop using gripe water. It is not recommended. Nothing other than breastmilk is advisable in the first six months....  Read Full »

Our 2 months old baby poops all the time. Please suggest some medicine.

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago, my wife delivered a baby boy. 10 days before, we brought the baby home from my wife's place. Since then, he poops all the time and it is mostly mucus-like with a little odor and watery. I guess there is some fungal infection around the baby's anus. We went to the doctor a...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be very worried and I think this is your first child, which is why all the worry is taking place. Here are certain things you should know about children under the age of 6 months. Slight coughing, sneezing, gurr gurr noises from the chest that does not impair...  Read Full »

My 2 months old baby is extremely agitated and not sleeping. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 months old. He is a normal healthy baby. I did not have any trouble with him so far. Sometimes, he will grunt and raise his knees to his chest when he has gas but has always been able to get a normal amount of sleep.Today, though he has been very agitated and alert, the who...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your explanation, a few things are evident. This is probably your first child. We are talking about a normal well-growing child with a weight of 6 kg at the age of 2 months, which is very good. The behaviour that you are explaining is known as startling reflex. It is...  Read Full »