Baby Stool

What could cause pale stools in an 8-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby girl's thyroid level was 13, and bilirubin was 9 at the time of birth. And after six days, our Pediatrician told us to retake the test, and bilirubin was 13, and the thyroid test showed T3- 91, T4-13.05, and TSH - 2.05. We kept her in blue light for two days then we came home....  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can help you. First of all, everything which you have said is normal except for pale stools. Can you send the picture of the stools if possible? Also, do not worry about initial jaundice. It will not happen again, usually. Walking well is a really good sign, which m...  Read Full »

What is the reason for frequent stools in newborns having formula milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 4 months and 20 days, today he passed stool after every feed nearly about four to five times. The stool is not very much in quantity, and not very loose also, usually he passes stool twice (morning and evening). Earlier, when a similar pattern was seen, the doctor suggested ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for the late reply. See, as per your query, your baby is passing stools four to five times a day, which is quite familiar in a baby who is on breast milk and formula milk; any stool frequency more than eight to nine times a day is considered abnormal, so n...  Read Full »

Why is there pooping in babies right after having formula milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My little one is 7 weeks old, and the last two days, I have had difficulty feeding her to her demands. Sometimes, it happens, and I substitute with milk formula, which has happened maybe six to seven times in the past. But the last two days, I had to supplement twice a day. Since she wou...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. 1. Feeding difficulty may arise because of two reasons: a. Improper latching. b. Improper position. 2. Usually, those baby who latches correctly do not require formula milk. The mother's breast milk is sufficient. 3. Mix feeding (breast m...  Read Full »

Should I give my newborn Enterogermina?

Query: My baby was born premature at 34 weeks now he is 1 month old and weighing +3kg. He doesn't poops until 2 to 3 days but stools are soft. He keeps making straining noise all time and gets irritated and cries. He is taking colicaid since 4days but yet no good result so doctor asked to take enterogermin...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Please note that it is normal for children below the age of 6 months to pass stools wither 10 to 20 times a day or once in 2 to 3 days. Both are fine and is not labelled as constipation or diarrhoea. No treatment is required in such cases. Treatment is only required when there is documented fever, ...  Read Full »

Is it fine for the baby to pass watery stools with good weight gain and normal activity?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 5 months old and passing watery stools from second month onwards. Though he is gaining good weight and is a happy baby is always waking up with a smile and achieving all milestones. Now his weight is 8 kg. He is exclusively breastfed and does not have colic. My concerns ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that the symptoms described by you are absolutely normal and the very fact that it is normal is the weight gain. If at all these were loose motions, such good weight gain would not be possible. Ignore the color and consistency of the stools they keep cha...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a baby to pass stools normally for about 8 times in a day?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby has severe reflux and is spitting a lot even if I elevate his pillow. The doctor has recommended to put him to sleep on his side. Now the baby is taking formula milk, antireflux which has calmed the spit up. However, the baby is going to stool eight times a day. The stool is ...  Read Full »

Dr. M.l.kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to me hold the baby bottle at 90-degree so that only milk is sucked no air. After feeding put the baby on the left shoulder and pat just behind the stomach level for five minutes to burp on the back of the baby. Baby burp three to five times. After burpi...  Read Full »

Why does my 1-month-old baby scream throughout the night as if her belly hurts?

Query: My one month old usually eats around the clock and always had a lot of gas. The past several days, she will only eat 0.5-1 or 2 ounces at a time when she typically eats 3-3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops and if she does it's usually around 1-2am and has diarrhea. She also started screaming th...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby. Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose water stools, excessive crying at night can al be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac well. Please know that onc...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to stop breastmilk and start formula milk for a 3-month-old baby?

Query: My baby is 3 months old, last month he had rashes and a loose motion, we did a stool test of ph and reducing substance done, the report says that the reducing substance is positive, the doc advices to stop mothers milk and start isomil formula, the baby did not take isomil, so I continued with breas...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Am glad to hear you did not stop breast-feeding and that the baby’s weight gain is good. Babies of 3 months may pass stools after every feed-which means if you feed 10 times, they may pass stools 10 times. So that is not a thing to get worried. Regarding the colour of the stools, green-y...  Read Full »

Is increased bowel movement normal in a 4-month-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is four months old now. She breastfeeds only. She used to defecate once or twice daily. Sometimes she defecated once in two to three days. Recently she has started defecating four to eight times a day (generally very small amount though) and her feces have become more liqu...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal for babies to have variable stool frequency. Sometimes they pass once or two times in a day, sometimes more. Some babies have exaggerated gastrocolic reflex, it means they pass stool after almost every feed. No need to worry if the stool is not watery and s...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have mucus stools after taking medicines for cold and cough?

Query: Hello doctor, My child is 3 years old. she was suffering from cold and cough and was under medication like Mucolite, Timinic, Septilin, and Asthalin 2.5 mg. For the last two days, she was doing mucus potty, now it is getting better today. We did a test and attached is the interim report. Please adv...  Read Full »

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen her reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your child has a respiratory infection and nothing to do with her potty. The mucus you say is due to the swallowed phlegm. She needs an antibiotic like Moxclav dry syrup 5 ml - 0 - 5 ml twice...  Read Full »