Baby Stool

Is it advisable to stop breastmilk and start formula milk for a 3-month-old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is three months old. He had rashes and loose motion before a month. We did a stool test of pH and reducing substance. The result showed a positive result for reducing substance. The doctor advised me to stop giving mother's milk and start giving Isomil formula. My baby did not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not stopped breastfeeding and so your baby's weight gain is good. A baby of three months passes stool after every feed. If you feed ten times, then he may pass stool ten times. Regarding the color of the stool, green, yellow, golden brown are the normal sha...  Read Full »

Is it bad if my baby does not pass stool every day?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 months old baby has loose motions once every ten days. Why is he like that? Does he have any problem? Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal for children below 6 months to pass stools ten to twenty times a day or once in two to three days. Both are fine and are not labeled as constipation or diarrhea. No treatment is required in such cases. Treatment is only required when there is documented fev...  Read Full »

How to help my 10-week-old baby with digestive issues?

Query: Hi doctor, My 10-week old baby is having digestive issues since birth. He passes gas extremely and experiences severe pain and discomfort when trying to pass gas and stool sometimes. Nothing helps him. We have tried giving gas drops and bicycling his legs. We have changed formulas and now he is tak...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Children below the age of six months make a lot of odd noises before or after passing stools. It is a normal phenomenon. Also passing gas is a normal phenomenon. Some children pass gas like an adult and it is completely normal. There is no need of taking medications bec...  Read Full »

What could cause pale stools in an 8-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby girl's thyroid level was 13, and bilirubin was 9 at the time of birth. And after six days, our Pediatrician told us to retake the test, and bilirubin was 13, and the thyroid test showed T3- 91, T4-13.05, and TSH - 2.05. We kept her in blue light for two days then we came home....  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can help you. First of all, everything which you have said is normal except for pale stools. Can you send the picture of the stools if possible? Also, do not worry about initial jaundice. It will not happen again, usually. Walking well is a really good sign, which m...  Read Full »

What is the reason for frequent stools in newborns having formula milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 4 months and 20 days, today he passed stool after every feed nearly about four to five times. The stool is not very much in quantity, and not very loose also, usually he passes stool twice (morning and evening). Earlier, when a similar pattern was seen, the doctor suggested ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for the late reply. See, as per your query, your baby is passing stools four to five times a day, which is quite familiar in a baby who is on breast milk and formula milk; any stool frequency more than eight to nine times a day is considered abnormal, so n...  Read Full »

Why is there pooping in babies right after having formula milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My little one is 7 weeks old, and the last two days, I have had difficulty feeding her to her demands. Sometimes, it happens, and I substitute with milk formula, which has happened maybe six to seven times in the past. But the last two days, I had to supplement twice a day. Since she wou...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. 1. Feeding difficulty may arise because of two reasons: a. Improper latching. b. Improper position. 2. Usually, those baby who latches correctly do not require formula milk. The mother's breast milk is sufficient. 3. Mix feeding (breast m...  Read Full »

Should I give my newborn Enterogermina?

Query: My baby was born premature at 34 weeks now he is 1 month old and weighing +3kg. He doesn't poops until 2 to 3 days but stools are soft. He keeps making straining noise all time and gets irritated and cries. He is taking colicaid since 4days but yet no good result so doctor asked to take enterogermin...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Please note that it is normal for children below the age of 6 months to pass stools wither 10 to 20 times a day or once in 2 to 3 days. Both are fine and is not labelled as constipation or diarrhoea. No treatment is required in such cases. Treatment is only required when there is documented fever, ...  Read Full »

Is it fine for the baby to pass watery stools with good weight gain and normal activity?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 5 months old and passing watery stools from second month onwards. Though he is gaining good weight and is a happy baby is always waking up with a smile and achieving all milestones. Now his weight is 8 kg. He is exclusively breastfed and does not have colic. My concerns ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that the symptoms described by you are absolutely normal and the very fact that it is normal is the weight gain. If at all these were loose motions, such good weight gain would not be possible. Ignore the color and consistency of the stools they keep cha...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a baby to pass stools normally for about 8 times in a day?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby has severe reflux and is spitting a lot even if I elevate his pillow. The doctor has recommended to put him to sleep on his side. Now the baby is taking formula milk, antireflux which has calmed the spit up. However, the baby is going to stool eight times a day. The stool is ...  Read Full »

Dr. M.l.kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to me hold the baby bottle at 90-degree so that only milk is sucked no air. After feeding put the baby on the left shoulder and pat just behind the stomach level for five minutes to burp on the back of the baby. Baby burp three to five times. After burpi...  Read Full »

Why does my 1-month-old baby scream throughout the night as if her belly hurts?

Query: My one month old usually eats around the clock and always had a lot of gas. The past several days, she will only eat 0.5-1 or 2 ounces at a time when she typically eats 3-3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops and if she does it's usually around 1-2am and has diarrhea. She also started screaming th...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby. Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose water stools, excessive crying at night can al be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac well. Please know that onc...  Read Full »