Q. My 10-week-old baby is having digestive issues since birth. What to do?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My 10-week old baby is having digestive issues since birth. He passes gas extremely and experiences severe pain and discomfort when trying to pass gas and stool sometimes. Nothing helps him. We have tried giving gas drops and bicycling his legs. We have changed formulas and now he is taking the fifth formula as we are trying to rule out lactose intolerance in him. He still has a lot of pain on the current hypoallergenic formula and also during feeding. It seems to be a formula passing through the system when passes stool every time after every feed. His stool is yellow and watery with mucus. He started to have mucus when he was on Lactogen formula. I do not have any pediatric gastrointestinal consultant near me. Kindly suggest.

#

Children below the age of six months make a lot of odd noises before or after passing stools. It is a normal phenomenon. Also passing gas is a normal phenomenon. Some children pass gas like an adult and it is completely normal. There is no need of taking medications because it is quite normal. Your baby does not have any digestive issues as the weight of the baby is 5.9 kilograms at ten weeks. This weight is very good for this age. A child with digestive issues will not have a good weight. If you feel that the child's face turns red occasionally and the child cries a lot, then we need to evaluate the child for reflux. In this condition, anti-reflux medications can be given.

|