Q. My son is passing stool frequently after every feed. What medicines to use?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My son is 4 months and 20 days, today he passed stool after every feed nearly about four to five times. The stool is not very much in quantity, and not very loose also, usually he passes stool twice (morning and evening). Earlier, when a similar pattern was seen, the doctor suggested a combination of Racigyl - SB, Walamycin (Colistin sulfate) suspension, and Neosmile (Lactase enzyme). Can I repeat the same dose? Please suggest.

#

I am sorry for the late reply. See, as per your query, your baby is passing stools four to five times a day, which is quite familiar in a baby who is on breast milk and formula milk; any stool frequency more than eight to nine times a day is considered abnormal, so need not worry. You can give pre and probiotics like Racigyl SB (Racecadotril) and enzyme supplements Like Neosmile (Lactase enzyme) with the same dosage as earlier. You can stop any formula milk if you are giving and give Lactose-free formula milk. Continue breast milk if you have proper breast milk. Take care.

Thanks for your suggestions.

My son is a mostly formula-fed baby as I do not have sufficient breast milk.

#

Yes, if the baby is on formula milk, this is the problem faced by every parent. So you need to be careful about the hygiene with milk bottles, the procedure to make formula milk and all. Anyways if there is stool frequency below eight, you need not worry if it goes beyond that need to start medications. If any blood tinge in stools, then antibiotics are needed. Otherwise, simple probiotic and enzyme supplement is enough.

|