Q. Is my 2-year-old daughter vomiting a sign of brain tumor?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

My two-year-old daughter keeps vomiting once a week literally, the last three Thursdays and counting today. She has no other symptoms and is completely acting normal outside of the vomiting. Each time she throws up once and goes on about her day. I am a little concerned because my husband's brother was diagnosed with brain cancer at five, so it runs in her family. Is this something I should see a doctor?

#

Do you force-feed her? Force-feeding is one of the common causes of vomiting. Also, how is her weight gain? Is she good at all other activities? Is there any history of diarrhea? If she has this pathology, she should vomit daily and not weekly. Also, is she on bottle feeding?

She is not in bottle feeding, and we do not force-feed. She eats a lot on her own, and she is a bit overweight. She just has randomly started vomiting every Thursday. Two weeks ago in the morning, last Thursday in the afternoon, and now early this morning at midnight. Her activity is fine, and she does get constipated frequently. She also only vomits one time and then goes about her day. She went right back to a sound sleep. I am very confused.

#

Do not worry about brain tumors. They have variable presentations, and in children, it is not that common. One thing that is surprising is that she vomits only on Thursday. It is strange that any disease symptom presents only on Thursday or once a week. Is any specific meal you give in Wednesday dinner? There could be some allergy to particular foodstuff. If there is gut pathology, it should have symptoms daily and not weekly.

I have been watching what we have been feeding her, and nothing really correlates as to what is causing her vomit. She eats different foods each time she has vomited. An apple, a piece of pizza, and last night it was french fries. We even paused her milk intake to see if it was milk. It is the craziest thing.

#

Have you tried any anti-emetic medicine for vomiting? We can give anti-emetics for five days and see the response.

|