Q. When I drive long, I am getting severe back pain. Why?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2020

For the last few days, I have trouble to sleep after 4 to 5 AM in the morning as my upper back becomes some sort of frozen and it pains a lot. Even with slight movement, it pains a lot, but it vanishes away as soon as I get up. It does not turn up for the whole day. I am not sure, but I feel it occurs more the day I drive more that is approximately 2 to 3 hours a day. Another issue is owning to driving or posture my right shoulder is tilting down. Also, I feel pain near right ribs and center of the stomach near naval occasionally. Kindly suggest.

#

• You may have hit the nail on the head when you said that it could be your long hours of driving that may to blame.
  • Driving itself is not the cause, but the stretch of time you do continuously and the posture you knowingly or unknowingly adopt is the source of symptoms.
  • These symptoms gradually come and present with vague discomfort after prolonged period of rest and disappear soon after activity starts.
  • Also to see is your posture at the desk if your job demands. Using a laptop is a major factor for symptoms and using desktop is better. Being on the phone for long stretches, lying in bed and watching television or reading books with poor posture can also cause back pain.
  • Check the one fit you and remember to correct your posture then and there. This is prevention.
  • Regarding treatment, I suggest a long-acting anti-inflammatory tablet like Voveran-SR 100 (Diclofenac) for a few days after dinner to help you sleep. Apply Dynapar gel (Diclofenac) and apply hot or ice pack over the area.
  • Do regular neck and shoulder range of motion and strengthening exercises.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I am doing marketing job and so prolonged sitting does not happen. I am using spring mattress. Can it be a reason for my upper back ache? How long do you suggest Voveron tablet and gel?

#

• I suggest Voveran tablets for at least two weeks regularly. Once pain comes under control, then visit a physiotherapist for neck and shoulder exercises.

|