Q. I am suffering from severe back pain during breathing, yawning, and laying down. Why?

Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2019

I am a 31-year-old female with two kids. For the past five days, I have severe back pain, and trouble when I breathe, yawn, or when I lay down. When this first began, it was hurting so bad that when I would lay down, I would hyperventilate. My pain is currently around my right kidney on my back that radiates to my shoulder (more towards my arm) and my neck, all in the right side.

I can breathe better today, but I have the back pain, shoulder, and neck pain still (very sharp stabbing around the kidney and pain level from1 to 10). My UA showed some signs of stones, and WBC count was elevated. I started antibiotics yesterday. I had a CT scan where they did it have any abnormal findings. The pain medications are not doing anything for the pain. I had undergone gastric sleeve completed on before two weeks, and have not had any problems with it. Do not know what to do from here?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

You are having two separate problems.

1. Kidney stones, along with urine infection. You have been started on pain medicines and antibiotics rightly. But the tablets will take time to act, and you need to give two days for it. If your pain is not tolerable, you need to go to the hospital and get injectable pain medication and also injectable antibiotics. You did not mention how big was the stone because the treatment depends on the size. If it is quite big, medicines may not be of help to you.

2. Your neck pain, shoulder pain, and pain while breathing is not due to kidney stones. Probably you might be having a nerve pull at the level of your neck. You need to get an MRI scan of your neck for the confirmation of the diagnosis and also to know the severity. The medicine Gabapentin what you are taking will help you in reducing the pain, but it takes three to four days. You can double the dose of Gabapentin for faster relief but after consulting your treating doctor.

I hope this information was useful for you if you have any clarification, feel free to ask.

MRI cervical spine.

Cervical radiculopathy.

Renal calculi

Drink plenty of water.

What is the solution for shoulder pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing pain on my right shoulder for a couple of weeks. I have the pain only when I move. When I raise my hands up and throwing anything overhead, I have the pain. The pain is at the front of my shoulder, and I can put the finger on the spot that is sore. I am taking Paracetam...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keep icing the painful area frequently. The pain in the shoulder could be a muscle strain or a spasm after a prolonged period of compression possibly due to lying over that shoulder. It can be an AC joint (acromioclavicular joint) strain. Massage the area gently. Gentle...  Read Full

Why is there neck pain on turning to side?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. I feel that there could be some facet irritation that can lead to this restriction and pain on your left side of the neck. Do not worry. I suggest you to kindly use a neck pillow or support your neck properly while sleeping. At least make su...  Read Full

Why am I having shoulder pain radiating to arms and hands?

Query: Hello doctor, There is shoulder pain going into arm and hands. It intensifies with moving the neck.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern and below is my opinion for your case. It can be nerve compression pain due to a bulging disc in the cervical spine area. I suggest you get your detailed neurological evaluation. You should get investigated with cervical spine digital X-ray t...  Read Full