Q. I get a sharp pain in my middle back for about 20 days. Is this muscular pain or backbone injury?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

I have been doing regular exercise like morning walk for about 50 minutes and pranayama, yoga for another 50 minutes. Presently I am experiencing sharp pain in the middle of the back (and little on the left side) for more than 20 days. When I try to identify the pain's exact area by touching the whole back, nothing is seen. In the middle of the backbone, I feel a slight pain at a particular point on touching. The pain does not radiate or move. If I lay down or sleep, the pain decreases or disappears. I guess it must be muscular pain or backbone injury.

Please advise me medicines, ointment, or gel, keeping in mind that I have been suffering from grade 1 diffuse fatty liver. I took Dolo 650 tablet twice daily for five days, but no improvement. And I am currently on Livoriv B.

#

I have gone through your history and found that there are two possibilities.

1. Soft tissue inflammation like muscle spasm, fibromyositis, or maybe a postural back pain.

2. Disc prolapse causing reduction of disc space and nerve compression.

The good thing is that you are already doing yoga that is good for the back. Try taking physiotherapy, traction, and infrared for a week, and you will find definite improvement.

The safest analgesics for you are Tramadol and Piroxicam that too, in a very low dose.

| 

Related Video

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm.What could it be?

Query: Hello Doctor, Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm. Tingling sensation everywhere in the whole arm. The shoulder blade hurts, underarm pit also hurts. Part of chest and cervical bulges are seen.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now