Q. I get back pain at rest with tingling sensation during sleep. Why?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

I am having back pain at rest for the past for one month. I am also having an issue with sleep since it is hurting and it keeps on tingling when at rest. Please advise.

#

You are very young to actually have persistent back pains. There are many causes of pain in the lower back region. It can be due to faulty posture, related to weak muscles, issues with intervertebral disc, narrowing of spinal canal, or any bony instability besides many others. So accurate diagnosis is the key to proper management of the condition.

You will have to elaborate your problem as to a detailed discussion of your back pain which means the duration of pain and mode of onset. I would also like to ask you if it is associated with any leg pain or any other neurological symptoms like numbness, paraesthesias (electrical shock like abnormal sensations), or any weakness in limbs? Any associated symptoms like fever, weight loss, etc? What medications are you generally taking until now for your existing problem?

If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like radiating leg pain, neurological symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesia, etc, then you can start with the following recommendations for an initial period of two to three weeks. 1. Maintain proper posture of your back while working and sleeping.

2. If pain is more then you can take a short course of anti-inflammatory medication like Etoricoxib or Paracetamol or one which suits you.

3. Physical therapy initially under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home.

4. Adequate calcium and Vitamin D intake, if levels are low in the body.

5. Ice packs can be applied if your pain is acute, then hot fomentation can be done at home.

6. Analgesic spray for local application can be used and is easily available.

7. Avoid lifting heavyweight, acute forward bending in the mornings, etc.

We will observe you for the next two to three weeks how you respond to this conservative management protocol. If you are not feeling better, then we will have to get some investigations like, dynamic x-rays of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation.

| 

Related Video

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Why am I having tingling sensation in arm?

Query: Hello doctor, I have tingling left arm. Thumb and index finger are somewhat numb. Skin lesions infect arm. I was told that they are not shingles. Bone at base where skull and spine meet is stiff and sore. On no medication. Taking Ibuprofen for pain.  Read Full »

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now