Q. I have lower back pain and inward curvature of spine. Please help.

Dr. Tanushree Agarwal
Published on Jul 07, 2018

For the past two years, I have experienced lower back pain coupled with what I think to be an abnormal inward curvature of my spine. I recently went to a pediatrician and the doctor brushed it off saying there is nothing wrong with my spine. No one believes me even though I have showed them and complained about the pain. I have looked online and found what I think to be the problem (lumbar lordosis or anterior pelvic tilt). My back causes me a great deal of pain and embarrass me by making my butt stick out. Please help.

Dr. Tanushree Agarwal

Physiotherapy
#

The cause of your back pain is overactive erector spine muscles. These muscles support the back in all the activities. Due to a reduction in their flexibility, they are not able to take up high impact activities like running or jumping, while the low impact activities like daily chores are pain-free. During high impact activities the stress which should have been taken up by the muscles now falls on the inner structures that are not made for it, and so there is a sharp shooting pain felt.

Treatment is as follows:

1. Start your day with the Cobra Stretch. Do not hold in that position, just stretch upwards and immediately come down.
  2. Strengthen obliques. Start with single leg heel taps.
  3. Gluts: Donkey Kicks.
  4. Stretch Hamstrings with the help of a stretching belt.
  5. Erector spine shell stretch.

Things to remember: Do the Cobra Stretch as mentioned above before and after workout and also as the last thing in the night, just before going to bed.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

My frequent urination problem stopped after I started masturbating. Are they related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old male, who weighs 72 kg and 176 cm tall. About 3 to 4 years ago, I was urinating every 5 to 10 minutes, so I used some medicines. It took about two months to get rid of this illness, but it did not heal completely. For the first two years, I was urinating in every 1...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis. Can you tell how bad the curvature is?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 30 year old male. I was diagnosed with minor scoliosis. I have attached my x-ray results. I would like to know how bad is that. I only get occasional pain after standing for too long or lifting heavy stuff. Can you tell how much the curvature is? Is this something I need to worr...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now